• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: New Mac, Chartworld Navionics
Old Mac dead, new Mac with 10.8.2. Restored all the data to the new Mac from my backup drive and MacENC doesn't display the Navionics chart. I have emailed Chartworld as I believe I need a new user permit, but they haven't replied.
Any ideas on what to do next?

Yes you need a new permit file (either permit.txt or enc. pmt). This file is based on the UserPermit MacENC displays in the MacENC Chart Manager. Once you import that new file your charts will continue to work.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Am I right in thinking that only Chartworld can supply this, or could I alternatively contact Navionics direct?

You would contact ChartWorld as they provide the permit files.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Dear srp,

would you please send your questions again to sales@chartworld.com and support@chartworld.com . We are very sorry but we cannot find an email from you in our data. Please send your account number and name also that we can assign your questions to your account.

Thank you very much,

your ChartWorld-Team

Ok thanks, I have had a reply from Navionics. Apparently my licence has expired, so I can't display the chart.
I hadn't realised that the license terms mean that the chart would not be useable after the license has expired. Are all electronic charts like this? eg the ones from Xtraverse?

Anytime you replace a Mac, the license for the charts must be current. As long as you are using the same Mac you licensed the charts for the charts will continue to function.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

OK thanks for the explanation.
It's a good job my paper charts aren't going to expire.

uh, your paper charts DO expire...sometimes weekly.

No they don't expire. They might need updating from time to time, as do electronic charts. The point I was making was that my paper charts will still allow me to navigate perfectly satisfactorily even though they are 14 years old. My Navionics chart, supplied by Chartworld, doesn't even display any more, all because Chartworld don't want to supply me with a small file that would cost them nothing to supply. It's not as if I'm asking them to update the chart, just allow me to use the one I paid so much for originally. I call that miserable customer support.
Contrast that with the support for MacENC - frequent free updates to the latest version, all notified by email to keep us up to date.

I have moved to my new MacBook Pro RD using Apple Migration Assistant and my Navionics charts seem to still be working without reloading. I do have a current license.

IF you have a 1:1 backup (ex. with SuperDuper) then your installation keep the same SerialNumber. You have to restore your backup on the new Mac.
So you can use your charts with the same SerialNr. You can also ask for a new Permit file by charteworld and explain your situation. They was so gently to give me a second permit for my backup Laptop with a different Serial number.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chartworld Chartes are not for indefinite use!!! aguenther 10 4,958 September 22, 2016 06:17
Last Post: Jade
  Navionics or Chartworld ENCs aguenther 0 4,632 February 27, 2012 09:08
Last Post: aguenther
  Installation ChartWorld Maps Zilverborg 2 3,267 July 1, 2008 07:47
Last Post: Zilverborg
  Create New Installation Chartworld mac4cat 3 3,119 March 21, 2008 08:08
Last Post: GPSNavX
  New Chartworld website GPSNavX 0 2,089 December 18, 2007 16:26
Last Post: GPSNavX