• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Practical Sailor, April 2010...
The April 2010 issue of Practical Sailor has a full comparison of iNavX, Memory-Map, and Navionics marine navigation products. They did a pretty good job of comparing the products (I have all 3 also) - Practical Sailor often does a good job.

The bottom line of the article - Memory-Map got a "Recommended" selection and Navionics got a "Best Choice" selection.

The article is here:

http://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/3...909-1.html

And iNavX was recommended for those who need more detailed information that the other apps simply don't provide. The other apps were for those whose needs were simple and easily satisfied. Definitely not power users, though.

That's funny - I read the whole article and didn't come away with that. They said that Memory-Map is better if you like raster charts and Navionics is the best. Owning all products, I agree totally. The Memory-Map user interface is much better than iNavx and Navionics has everything integrated together nicely. I'm underway right now and I use the Navionics app all the time for tide and current display - it's really nice.

There are still some issues even with Navionics. Clearly I prefer high-quality marina, anchorage, bridge, etc info. For example, I'm traveling today between Palm Beach and Jensen Beach with a variety of bridges. I should be able to see the bridge heights and restrictions to time them properly.

I also think that heading/course-up viewing is critical to today's market and boater. It feels like way-back chartplotting to have everything as north up only (or chart up for raster). I can't imagine using that for real piloting on an iPad some day.

ActiveCaptain Wrote:That's funny - I read the whole article and didn't come away with that.

Well, you know what they say...."Horses for Courses"...

bobetter Wrote:Well, you know what they say...."Horses for Courses"...
Actually, that's not it at all. Please read the article and pull out the quotes that show the assertion that iNavx is better for power users. As I remember it, the article instead directly said that it requires more commitment from the user (because it's harder to use).

ActiveCaptain Wrote:(because it's harder to use).

I missed that....where does it say that? Maybe it's harder to use for you?

bobetter Wrote:I missed that....where does it say that? Maybe it's harder to use for you?
No, I think it's harder for everyone to use.

Here's the direct quote:

"iNavX is a powerful program that can run a variety of charts and do an impressive number of jobs with added modules and a bit of commitment from the user."

I'm assuming that the extra "commitment from the user" implies that it was harder to use especially when it was given a "Good" rating for "Interface" as opposed to Memory-Map which was given an "Excellent" rating.

Thinking about it though, they could have meant that "a bit of commitment from the user" was about the price. iNavx has the highest price of the 3 products listed in their comparison table (and doesn't include tides and currents).

Personally, I think that iNavx would do well to follow Ayetides pricing drops. I think Ayetides originally came out at $19.95 then when down to $14.95 and is now at $9.95. If iNavx were priced at about $19.95, it would sell more and, I think, be properly priced for the features and user-interface.

Oh, and Ayetides needs one more drop to about $4.95 to be properly priced. Even there though, there are some good free tide programs and Navionics includes it for $9.95 with the chart plotter.

Just my opinions. You might not agree. I'll keep discussing it if you'd like. Do you have any questions?

ActiveCaptain Wrote:Just my opinions. You might not agree. I'll keep discussing it if you'd like. Do you have any questions?

Yes, you are correct, just your opinions. Problem is that you tried to use Practical Sailor as a corner man in your ongoing and transparent attack on a particular piece of SW.

I wouldn't call this a discussion.

No, no questions, I'm done.

I'm not making any attacks on anything. I thought the article was well done and I agree with it after using all three products myself. Just because an independent, well-respected publication comes up with the same complaints that I've been writing about doesn't mean I'm making a transparent attack. At some point maybe it's just the way that it is...

Guys,

Please try and keep your posts in the spirit of debate and do not make personal attacks.

As with all things, there are two sides to any argument, but a little respect goes a long way.

Thanks

Da Management
Never knowingly overcanvassed!

Practical Sailor came out with an iPad Marine app review this month. iNavX did well.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA