• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: iPhone vs Windows Mobile...
Interesting article here describing sales differences between the Apple iPhone and Windows Mobile devices:
iPhone vs WM Sales

Interesting article... but there's more to a good device than how many units you can ship.

Otherwise, this site would probably be called WindowsSailing.net.... ;-)

Never knowingly overcanvassed!

hmmm....does this mean that Active Captain Mobile development for the iPhone has been halted?

bobetter Wrote:hmmm....does this mean that Active Captain Mobile development for the iPhone has been halted?
Of course not! It just helps to show why sales of our WM version have been so strong.

For what it's worth, we did a poll on our site (still live now) asking which platform they'd prefer to run ActiveCaptain Mobile on next. It sure surprised me that Blackberry was selected over the iPhone.

I love the iPhone. There are things that I hate about it too and I hope that Apple will move forward with bringing it to the next level. I think the Palm Pre is going to challenge some of the capabilities of these platforms and could make Apple move to fixing some of the silly restrictions that are built in now.

I expect Apple will aggressively protect their intellectual property. They have the resources to do so.

Apple Awarded iPhone and Multi-Touch Patent

It is good to see MS have success in light of the less than positive reception both Vista and the Zune have received.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Microsoft still has no iPhone answer
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

GPSNavX Wrote:Microsoft still has no iPhone answer
The 22 million people who purchased Windows Mobile devices last year probably aren't asking a question.

I use all of these different phones a lot. They all have their strengths and issues. For example, I was just at the Miami Boat Show last week and experienced the following:

- Couldn't get a web site displayed on a high-end WM phone; pulled out the iPhone and it came up perfectly.

- Had no WiFi access and needed to do some database work on my web site requiring the laptop; the WM device got the laptop onto the network in 15 seconds; the iPhone sat powered off, unable to help at all.

- AppStore showed me that 5 apps had new updates - that is very slick; I have no idea how old my WM apps are and never check.

- TomTom on my WM device navigated me perfectly around all of the nasty Miami traffic; the iPhone's Google maps are nice but terribly inadequate for real world live navigating on streets.

All of these devices have their place.

Most don't have the luxury to own and carry multiple phones. So they pick the one that works best for their needs.

Ten reasons why Windows Mobile 6.5 misses the mark
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Ten Reasons to Hate the iPhone 3G

10 things I love, 10 things I hate about the iPhone

The top 10 things we hate about the iPhone

Ten Things You Will Hate About the Iphone 2.0

...it goes on and on and yet, what does it prove?

Good question. You started this thread "iPhone vs Windows Mobile". So seems like it is the thread for such links.

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

My original posting was to show that both platforms are pretty strong.

I honestly don't have a preference for one over the other. Different parts of me like different things about each platform. As a developer, I prefer to know them both (and Android, and Palm, and Symbian, and Blackberry/J2me).

Actually, I'm mostly pulling for the Palm Pre right now. I have a soft spot in my heart for Palm and would like to see the underdog come back from the dead. They just released the first chapter of their developer book yesterday:
http://developer.palm.com/webos_book/book1.html

It really looks like a killer product if they can pull it off:

- Multiple applicatons running at the same time

- Integrated alarm and notification system

- Copy & paste

- Can be used to tether your laptop while traveling

- Removable battery

- Excellent integration with Macs (unlike Windows Mobile)

- Simple software development (HTML 5, CSS, Javascript)

- Integrated real keyboard

My impression is that they've fixed all the things I hate about the iPhone. Of course, the reality of the device needs to be realized but it is something to watch...

A really good demo of the Palm Pre was posted today showing it's user-interface and capabilities:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R33Lc8cOXRs

iPhone outsold all Windows Mobile phones in Q2 2009
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

ActiveCaptain Wrote:
GPSNavX Wrote:Microsoft still has no iPhone answer
For example, I was just at the Miami Boat Show last week and experienced the following:

- Couldn't get a web site displayed on a high-end WM phone; pulled out the iPhone and it came up perfectly.

- Had no WiFi access and needed to do some database work on my web site requiring the laptop; the WM device got the laptop onto the network in 15 seconds; the iPhone sat powered off, unable to help at all.

- AppStore showed me that 5 apps had new updates - that is very slick; I have no idea how old my WM apps are and never check.

- TomTom on my WM device navigated me perfectly around all of the nasty Miami traffic; the iPhone's Google maps are nice but terribly inadequate for real world live navigating on streets.

All of these devices have their place.

+ Displaying Websites is a strong feature of the iPhone!
+ Tethering (using the mobile phoen as modem via laptop) is possible with all modern mobile phone except for the iPhone where it was only possible until 3.0 or a jailbroken iphone.
In the USA At&T doesn't allow tethering, but in the rest of the world it just works! My MSI Netbook running OS X Leopard just uses the iPhone as modem if I don't have WiFi access.
+ Navigon Navigator just replaced my TomTom standalone solution! (I used to have TomTom since it beginnings (Psion times in the 90s, had it on many Sony Ericsson phones) but it looks like Navigons solution is just better!!

See here the comparison table:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/iphone-nav...xr5133.php

For me the iPhone replaced many systems: my macbook, my Psion Pocket Computers and Palm PDA.

OK the iPhone still lacks some features but they will come as Palm, Google & Co won't sleep.

As for mobile phones running Win Mobile: all the versions I tried didn't satisfy me, because they were just pain slow! OK I'm spoiled by Psion pocket computers (Psion 5MX Pro) which did just start when pushing the ON button. No waiting at all and they did run 20-25 hours on just 2 plain AA 1,5V batteries. Complete office system, I used them for navigation with TomTom and on the sailing boat with scanned charts.

Today the Psion OS is called Symbian OS and runs on 90% of all mobile phones (50% on smartphones)
That's why I always had Sony Ericsson mobile phones until I got the iPhone.
Everybody I know who had or has a Win Mobile phone just replaced it by a non Windows system because it didn't work as supposed!

The Psion Series 5 was an awesome little machine. I remember when it came out.. it was streets ahead of its time.

[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/Psion_5mx_17o06.jpg/240px-Psion_5mx_17o06.jpg[/image] Wikipedia Entry

I wish Psion had never canned it.. it was another example of a fantastic British product that was ahead its time but didn't survive commercially. Anyway, personally I never liked the resulting Symbian OS as much as the Series 5.

Similar story to Acorn Computers (Wikipedia Entry). We have them to thank for the first RISC-based personal computer and, more importantly the ARM processor that now powers the vast majority of Smartphones and PDAs.

Hey ho... enough flag waving ;-)
Never knowingly overcanvassed!

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/...te.delete/
Quote:The company also added that its policies on allowed Windows apps will be stricter than for Apple. It shares the iPhone's ban against apps that replace "core functionality" but will also reject mapping and navigation software from its store.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

ReeferJon Wrote:The Psion Series 5 was an awesome little machine. I remember when it came out.. it was streets ahead of its time.

[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/Psion_5mx_17o06.jpg/240px-Psion_5mx_17o06.jpg[/image] Wikipedia Entry

I wish Psion had never canned it.. it was another example of a fantastic British product that was ahead its time but didn't survive commercially. Anyway, personally I never liked the resulting Symbian OS as much as the Series 5.

Similar story to Acorn Computers (Wikipedia Entry). We have them to thank for the first RISC-based personal computer and, more importantly the ARM processor that now powers the vast majority of Smartphones and PDAs.

Hey ho... enough flag waving ;-)

still got a couple of newton's kicking around - now there's machine that should never have been canned and given the development it deserved!

Windows Mobile 6.5 Arrives, Mostly Disappoints
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

And while MS Mobile 6.5 was being pushed out the door this was going on ..

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/...otage.html
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Dear active captain - I respect your views. But I just went back and checked, and yes this forum is called MAC sailing, so there is a big chance that I couldn't give a rats bottom about windows.

Windows may or may not be better or worse - the point is - I dont give a pooey bum bum. I have a MAC and I come here to improve my ability to use my mac in my sailing. I also have GPS navx so I come here to explore that as well. Big chance that if I had a windows device I probably wouldn't be here.

So please can we get back to helping me use my mac in sailing?

Ta for that.

Geez, I hadn't posted to this thread in 8 months.

Windows Mobile loses nearly a third of market share
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NAVIONICS WINS COVETED DAME AWARD 2008 WITH NEW MOBILE PHONE APPLICATION GPSNavX 2 3,085 December 13, 2008 07:54
Last Post: collin.harty
  MOVED:Navionics Mobile Charts for iPhone 0 897 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: