• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: new comment: questions and comments from first use
I would add the request for mouse scroll allowing for zoom functionality.

I'm "playing" with PV on Mac (snow leopard) and enjoying the functionality. I've loaded by raster and vector maps.

I'm rather confused since I currently have both the raster directory and the vector directory active in Chart Manager. Since the maps I am using are of the same area (for the most part) I see the raster has priority over the vector. I was wondering if they could combine or you could "toggle" between the types in a given view as each has its benefits in differnt areas.

an overview window would also be appricated. I noted this in a "for fee" software solution and it was great for moving around the map as well as getting your bearing w/o having to change your current view.

Also, I have not hooked up to GPS and got on my boat but I am curious to how user is sure the maps are sync'd to the GPS system properly. I see when looking at some maps as they connect to smaller maps (cells?) that there seems to be some conflict in how they line up (noted vector). They seem to match at the shoreline but not at the first color contours, maybe I'm just not understanding the science.

[image]http://img.skitch.com/20091126-dx6j4315m86s4u182pk7e8iyaa.jpg[/image]

Also, I'm curious to the "!" in the triangle and what it means. I don't note this on raster maps, so i'm not sure if it refers to the map or a problem with the map in the software.

I"m going to add to my post (EDIT). I'd love to see a graduated scale on the maps to help an amateur like me! I know there is the 1:xxx,xxx scale but it doesn't give me the right perspective (yet).

thanks.
shawn

here was one that was off no matter what scale was selected...

[image]http://img.skitch.com/20091126-1fagi2kgxu9a5dqgxkqyywkja3.jpg[/image]

1) Neither raster nor vector charts have "priority". Charts for each area are selected based on chart's native scale and zoom level you pick. That said, in the NOAA chart set it just so happens that raster charts often have "larger" scale than corresponding vector charts. As such, they are often selected to be shown when two charts are available.
You can turn on and off individual charts in the chart manager (use "+" and "-" buttons to toggle them). Better chart management is on a TODO list.

2) It is not particularly unusual for charts, especially vector charts of different scales, not to match exactly. Chart data is collected from different sources (often scanned from RNC charts) and charts of smaller scale tend to remove some detail in order to accommodate larger area. In your example it appears that chart cell above/left is of a smaller scale and has a more approximate shoreline than the one below/right.

Generally speaking for close quarters navigation you want to use the largest scale chart available for the location.

3) Exclamation mark in a triangle generally marks various restricted areas or "caution" notes. You can find out more about it by opening chart information window (Cmd+I) and clicking on the sign location.

4) Visible chart scale is on TODO list as well. It's a small item but it is relatively difficult to "get right", and a number of other products do not. I'd like to avoid the pitfalls and get it done in the most reasonable way.

Thanks all great answers and educational for a "new guy" . I would suggest a extensive FAQ as many of your answers were well stated even if my questions were not!

OK, I've digested your comments some more and have more add/inquire about.

1. Thanks on the +/- I was having trouble figuring out what these were for. I've seen the HELP and the README for the program. Is there more info out there some where that covers this such functionality as this in detail?

2. Do you actually mean the bottom/right would be more accurate? The map of greater detail at a more focused view? (I think the term scale confuses me at the moment).

3. Understood. Although I attempted this I was not seeing what would be described as the "details" under the Attribute and Value Column in the lower text box. I needed to "poke around" more!

4. Understood, I do see the challenge even knowing I don't understand scale (yet). When a map states it is 1:xxxx (scale?) doesn't that value convert to a equivalent in distance? I'm looking at my paper charts to see if there is a consistency in the scale to distance.

I'm going to add in regard to your #1 response it would be helpeful to have the name of the chart being used somewhere in a status bar. I just don't know which chart to turn on/off when I'm at a given view with dozens of charts in the chart manager.

I may be missing something but I would suggest that when one opens the chart manager that the chart currently in focus should already be highlighted too! So it's easy to turn off the raster to see the vector hiding behind it!

A system that allows for raster and vector at the same time is awesome.

I think that both of your suggestions should be covered in an updated chart manager.

These features are tentatively slated for version after the next, since there is a major functionality chunk coming up.

1) At the moment the documentation online/supplied with the program is all that is available. The rest is for users to figure out or to ask here (or through any other means Smile ). As with any product under development, it is difficult to keep documentation completely updated - and this situation will probably get worse before it gets better.

2) Yes, it would appear to be so.

Scale is "reverse" to amount of detail. I.e. (in general) a large scale chart covers a small area with more detail (for example, at scale 1:1 you get "real world size" Smile ). A small scale chart covers a large area with less detail (for example at scale of 1:64000000 you get an entire world map on screen).

4) Scale, in particular for vector charts, is a tricky thing. What you see down in the status bar is at best an "approximation" at a certain middle lattitude. Since chart scale changes with latitude (in Mercator projection which is what is used for marine navigation), the same visible distance on screen will actually represent a different distance in real world as you move about the chart.

Aside from that issue, however, it is not enough to simply draw a bar across the bottom of the screen and say "this is X Nautical Miles". The scale has to provide a reasonable visual guidance, that adds value (above and beyond what the measurement tool that is currently there already provides).

Again great stuff. I understand the concern with proper documentation as a project grows, been there myself and it's a large task for just one person. I think a great FAQ tends to solve most issues as people like me keep asking, just post it on the FAQ assuming the question was good!

The nice thing is you take the time to answer such questions and the traffic on the forum is light. I have worked with lots of other open source software and usually get on board after a few hundred others have already done so. You get a lot of "we covered" that in the forums even knowing it can be hard to find. So truly love feedback from the top!

I am really intrigued by this project and with my skills in hardware (and to many laptops!) I'm trying to find a perfect solution for open source software and a touchscreen laptop or two on my new (older) boat.

I now understand scale from you explanation.

Is this solely your project or do you have a group effort going on?

Yep, FAQ would definitely help. I am trying to build one by posting tagged entries onto our blog - but it's been slow going.

We have (and will continue to expand) both free ("as in beer") and commercial products. However, we are not open source.

Yea I always struggle with wordchoice on "free" software options.

So I'll be happy to donate to the beer fund once I get a working version on the boat this spring. Do you take donations via paypals or something similar? I took a quick look at the polarnavy.com website and didn't see an option...

No donations, but you are always welcome to buy a PolarIS license or two Wink Wink