• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: AIS Recommendations
I just got my MacEnc to work with B & G network and GPS. It works great. I like it so much that I want to add an AIS and a multiplexer.

What AIS do you folks recommend?

What Ship Module do recommend BT or USB?

thanks

Steve

For an AIS receiver I like these units ..

http://www.milltechmarine.com/Comar-AIS-...p_149.html

http://www.milltechmarine.com/AMEC-CYPHO...p_143.html

Both can connect to your Mac with a USB cable. The later even offers a model with a built in GPS receiver.

What instrumentation did you want to connect to the Multiplexer? All Shipmodul units will work, but need to know what you want achieve.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

The multiplexer would manage the following
GPS -Garmin
NEMA- B&G
AIS
Garmin GPS out to AutoPilot, DSC ICOM, AIS

I would like the multiplexer and AIS to be powered by 12v and not my computer. Is this possible?

Steve

Yes Multiplexer can do all that. In that case go with an AIS receiver with a serial interface ..

http://www.milltechmarine.com/AIS-Receivers_c_13.html

You will want Miniplex-USB or Miniplex-BT as both are powered by 12V system and do not need Mac power.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

What do you recommend BT or USB? I dont know the pros or cons regarding laptop power or reliability?

Steve

I'm curious about why you wouldn't recommend an AIS transponder over the above mentioned receivers. I've spent a fair amount of time working in and beside some heavily traveled shipping lanes and I can't recall a problem with seeing big ships, either visually or on radar. We've always hoped that those big ships could see us.

Granted, a transponder can cost quite a bit more than a simple receiver, but it looks like a few models could be pretty reasonable, especially when the GPS function is considered.

I've been considering an ACR Nauticast-B transponder. It is a complete package including GPS and VHF antennas for about $700. Couldn't I plug that into a Shipmodul multiplexer and have a backup GPS feed in addition to the position reports? It does seem like a better deal overall, but maybe there is something I haven't considered yet.
Edmund

AIS Transponder is a good option and MacENC (and iNavX) can use it to navigate with (instead of a stand-alone GPS receiver). There has been a lot of debate lately about whether the "big ships" even display the AIS B Transponder targets. MacENC will display both AIS A and B targets.

Both a transponder and/or receiver can be connected to multiplexer.

As far as BT over USB, I prefer USB for most reliable connection aboard. BT does work, but if the connection is lost then MacENC must sometimes be restarted to reconnect.

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

fish2live Wrote:I've been considering an ACR Nauticast-B transponder. It is a complete package including GPS and VHF antennas for about $700. Couldn't I plug that into a Shipmodul multiplexer and have a backup GPS feed in addition to the position reports? It does seem like a better deal overall, but maybe there is something I haven't considered yet.

I have exactly that setup running on my boat and it does quite nicely. You have to set up the miniplex to prioritize your GPS so it is only sending on one, but that's pretty simple.

As for BT vs USB, I have BT and its works quite well for me. I like being free from the umbilical cord thus able to monitor things while sitting in my bunk watching a movie. That being said, I generally don't use my laptop for active navigation, rather more for planning. If you're using it for your primary nav device then Rich's comments on usb vs bt might be more relevant.

Scot

I've got my Comar AIS-2-USB receiver last friday, drove to the Netherlands the day after to test it with my boat and MacENC.

Just works great.

thanks for the input. Much appreciated. Steve