• Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Comments after a 2 week journey using INavX daily
I'm using INavX on my 3GS IPad.
I have the East Navionics Charts loaded
Trip was from the Patomac River in VA to Bar Harbor, ME

Overall - I have favorable impressions of the product. I was able to load my routes through X-Traverse and pull grib files with relative ease.

I do have a few comments which might be helpful for those looking to use the software.

During planning, it was annoying that the page shifted (to my home in KY) while moving up and down the coast. This happens repeatedly.

I used the email my location each day. There needs to be a way to lock down the from address in future versions of the application - now it defaults to a certain address (maybe alphabetic) it happens to be my home internet acct and you can't send unless you are on their wired network.

Also - you can create a group to send the location to, you just have to go to the group and select every member individually. I'm guessing this is a week point in the iPad mail/contacts app and not a true issue with INavX.

The (+) in the To: field is too close to the "send" button for us who have less than pencil sized fingers. I wanted to add a new contact to the send list and the email screen would disappear to the queue for outbound mail.

I used the system as a backup for the onboard Raymarine Chartplotter and it worked nicely. Pages updated quickly - I downloaded the charts to the iPad.

I look forward to seeing additional developments on the product and feel I made a good choice in my purchase.

Cheers,

Sam

Not much I can do about the mail interface constraints you list, but as far as the chart scrolling back to the GPS position this is an easy setting change. By default iNavX will scroll back to your GPS position, but simply selecting "Pos. Icon Kept Visible" to "OFF" in the Chart "Setup" this behavior is disabled. In the event returning the chart to the GPS position is desired, simply tap the "Chart" tab a second time.

http://www.gpsnavx.com/iNavX/help/usingcharts.htm

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I used the app for the first time on a trip. On the first leg I was not navigating to a particular waypoint and noticed that the ribbon compass at the top was completely different than the digital "Heading Magnetic" read out of the heading I was on (the digital was correct).
On the next leg I navigated to a waypoint and they were in sync. What am I doing wrong? I did have the "Pos. Icon Kept Visible" off. Did that have something to do with the problem?

Also, a terrific upgrade to the app would be the ability for it to recognize one has arrived at a waypoint and then automatically (or after user acceptance as with RayMarine chart plotters) navigate to the next waypoint in a route rather than having exit the chart, go to the route tab and tap on the next waypoint in a route.

After the NavX 3.1.1 update i can't find the "Pos. Icon Kept Visible" setup anymore.
The scrolling back to GPS position is really annoying while planing a trip...

Thanks,
Timo

It is now "Pos. Icon. Loc". Set it to "None" in the Chart view "Setup".

http://www.gpsnavx.com/iNavX/help/usingcharts.htm
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Ok, found it!

Many thanks,
Timo