• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Suggestion for iNavX
Yesterday I downloaded the "Ship Tracker Lite" for my iPad. As I checked out the ship location data I pondered... What is the possibility of adding this type of functionality to iNavX. So this morning I found marinetraffic.com and saw they are getting ready to support a "data interchange"..... I think it's more than just receiving AIS data from a static receiver. If overlaying AIS data were doable it would be an excellent ad for us who don't have AIS on board and were in cell phone range. Could it be an optional overlay? We charter some and the boats we get on don't have AIS. Sometimes we sail at night and in less than perfect weather. This would be just one more layer in our safety net.

Thanks!

Already several pilot organizations have setup servers that function well with iNavX via AIS NMEA over IP. If marinetraffic.com will support real-time NMEA data then that is of great interest and will have more wide spread appeal as many nav applications support this protocol.

As previously noted, iNavX 3.1.2 (submitted to Apple) will support continuing to use device Location Services, but receive AIS via NMEA over IP.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Yesterday I downloaded the "Ship Tracker Lite" for my iPad. As I checked out the ship location data I pondered... What is the possibility of adding this type of functionality to iNavX. So this morning I found marinetraffic.com and saw they are getting ready to support a "data interchange"..... I think it's more than just receiving AIS data from a static receiver. If overlaying AIS data were doable it would be an excellent ad for us who don't have AIS on board and were in cell phone range. Could it be an optional overlay? We charter some and the boats we get on don't have AIS. Sometimes we sail at night and in less than perfect weather. This would be just one more layer in our safety net.

Thanks!