• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Fusion or Parallels for Windows
Hi, I am new to Mac and trying to decide on a virtual windows app for, at least, pactor modem interface. Any suggestions as to what program is better at handling serial to usb and keeping windows isolated from Mac files?

Larry,
I've used sailmail with both Fusion and Parallels with no problem once the serial/usb connection is established. Recall there was some sort us serial utility required on the Mac but pretty simple, and well documented on sailmail's site. If sailmail is your primary win app it's really a tossup. They both have (or at least had) trial versions you could download for free and try it out. My biggest gripe is I had to purchase a copy of winds in addition to Fusion or Parallels, so it's not particularly cheap.

I now use a cheap netbook instead for sailmail, and an iPad for nav. The macs, and most other laptops, just consume too much power for extended cruising IMHO.

Scot

Scot,
Thanks for the reply. Buying windows is a unpleasant expenditure. Power budget for electronics is always a compromise...I used to hibernate windows running Cap'n when offshore and leave it on in close quarters. I will be interested in finding out how macs and nav programs deal with sleep mode xp was quite iffy.
Larry

I have found that all of the virtual windows apps have their own little quirks, so for the money (free!) give Virtual Box a try. A free app produced by Oracle: http://www.virtualbox.org/

Only thing I cant figure out is drag and drop between environments, though it is supposed to have it.

Then you can try out apps like SeaClear II (another free one) with no out of pocket costs.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  usb-serial converter and parallels ms1990kl 0 11,782 December 20, 2010 19:42
Last Post: ms1990kl
  Windows? Are you mad? ReeferJon 2 8,893 February 17, 2010 07:28
Last Post: jagasail
  MaxSea and Parallels Drummer Buoy 9 13,532 February 16, 2009 11:03
Last Post: ebgb
  Parallels 4.0, BootCamp, serial ports CaptJohn 4 10,331 December 6, 2008 12:41
Last Post: Jim Innes
  Fusion vs Parallels jagasail 9 10,494 March 29, 2008 20:56
Last Post: auren