• Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Navionics Apps and iOS 4
Saw this on Twitter:

http://fb.me/DabsSENj

Navionics NOTICE: We regret to inform you that our apps, currently available on iTunes, are NOT compatible with the latest Apple iOS 4.0 due to an unexpected outcome of the Apple's iOS 4.0 implementation. If you have already updated your iPhone to iOS 4.0, do not buy our App for the moment. Soon Navionics will provide an iOS 4.0 compatible App. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

GPSNavX Wrote:Saw this on Twitter:

are NOT compatible with the latest Apple iOS 4.0 due to an unexpected outcome of the Apple's iOS 4.0 implementation.

How is that possible? If the iOS4 SDK is available for months to developers?

OK Apple could have done changes to the iOS 4 in the last minute during the iPhone 4 intro week.

But as a software developer one should see these changes from one SDK to the following one.

Or Navionics apps are badly written!

I've not seen anything in the SDK that would lead to a problem in their apps, unless they used a private API and Apple rejected their app because of it. Everything that's in the 2.2 to 3.2 SDK's work on iOS 4 (gotta love that backwards compatibility), just not as well as straight iOS 4 code. Maybe something with the new multitasking feature might be causing an issue, but all they have to do is add one key to a configuration file and the app works the same as on older OS's.

Curious. I'd love to know what's going on, but I doubt they'll tell us!

Well, in defence of Navionics, I spent a very pleasant weekend sailing the Solent with Navionics UK/Holand on my iPhone on my brand new and shiny iPhone 4. (well, it was shiny until my wife dropped it onto a stone path, but that's another story.)

I had no problems using the app on the new iPhone whatsover.. I checked currents and tide heights, entered a route, and zoomed in and out of a couple of different chart areas without issue.
Never knowingly overcanvassed!

Navionics have release v4.3 which brings their apps into compatibility with iOS 4 and fast app switching.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA