• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Is the iPad/iNavX good as a main nav sys?
I've just bought a "new" motorboat in the UK. Many of the systems are 30 years old and there is no gps at all. As a Mac user for 20 years, I'm really keen to extend the Mac to my boat and am considering buying an iPad (my main work computer is a Macbook Pro, but it is too vital to my work to risk taking it sailing!).
Question - is the iPad a suitable basis for the main navigation system (as a gps/chartplotter) with iNavX, a gps receiver such as advertised on their site and Navionics Gold charts (UK waters only required) via X-Traverse... plus other transducers etc to be added later?
Or would I be better to buy a dedicated gps/chartplotter from Garmin or whoever?

Kyle... It depends what you will be using it for. In-shore in fair weather is one thing, through the night cross-channel in fog is another. All advice is not to rely entirely on GPS but have some other back-up. Having said that, I have been predominately using iNavX on an iPhone in preference to the ship' GPS and paper charts, but I have the these to fall back on. The GPS in my iPhone 3G is not brilliant. I understand the receiver in the iPhone 4 and iPad is much better.

As a main electronic system, consider buying another MacBook with MacENC and interface to GPS etc. That should be cheaper than buying a dedicated plotter and much more flexible. And you can repeat the MacENC data to your iPad/iPhone. In the event the MacBook fails, the iPad/iPhone can take over using its own GPS, having been a 'hot standby'.

I am about to install a new Mac-based system - so far only bench tested at home. I am undecided whether to buy an iPad for cockpit use, as I will have a MacBook on the chart table. A hand-held iPhone may be more flexible than an iPad in the cockpit as it can be held in one hand or stuffed in a pocket, and I can do my main chart work on the MacBook. I will be assessing this soon.

Best of luck, Tony

Tony

Thank you very much for your response. To give a slightly broader picture, we live on the west coast of Scotland and so navigational requirements do need to be able to cope with worst case scenarios. Having said that, we do have paper charts, compasses and traditional, if fairly basic, navigational skills and we do also have a rather basic handheld Garmin II plus gps as backup.

Also, if using the iPad, we would not rely upon its built in gps but would install a proper masthead gps transducer to feed it. What I had anticipated was installing an overhead bracket in the wheelhouse (no cockpit) and plugging the iPad in there.

My question is more aimed at, is the software broadly the same for the iPad version? I can't really get a handle on the differences between MacENC and iNavX. Do they both use vector charts? What is missing from the iPad version? Also, what am I not getting by not having a dedicated chartplotter, which most of the guys on this forum seem to have in addition to their Mac based equipment.

Basically, it seems as though I would end up with a nice (and portable to work on at home) 9" screen, hi-res vector colour charts and a good quality (depending upon what I buy) gps aerial to power it. Sounds really good... almost too good! So I'm being cautious - am I missing something?

This table should help ..

http://www.gpsnavx.com/html/compare.html

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Thank you GPSNavX, that comparison is very helpful and it appears that iPad/iNavX will do all that we need. Again, though, I'm still trying to see what I am missing. On that comparison, it says compatible with Navionics Gold vector charts. Great! But I notice that the Navionics Gold UK chart for the iPad costs $39.99, whereas the same chart for MacENC costs $299.00. So what is the difference. Is the iNavX version disabled in some way?

Navionics have decided to have different pricing for each platform. There is no difference in the charts. Exact same data. So it makes iPhone/iPad editions a bargain when compared to PC/Mac or dedicated chart plotter editions.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Thank you GPSNavX, that is excellent news. Last question... I see on the comparison that the only thing missing from my point of view is the potential for radar integration. Can NMEA radar be connected via the "NMEA via TCP/IP (Client and Server)"? Failing that and if you are able to comment on this, is it planned for future versions of the software?

At this time we have no plans to add RADAR NMEA support to iNavX. Keep in mind RADAR via NMEA is limited to tracked targets and the cursor (assuming an interfaced RADAR supports).

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Thank you

I had also asked Navionics technical support whether the charts were the same on the iPad and they have just come back to me. I quote, "On the iPad, it is just the vector chart imagery that is included... you don't get a tidal and water current data based cooked in, you don't get detailed marina information databases, etc." Thought you might be interested.

Navionics have their own iPhone and iPad apps (sold per region and platform), so I can only speak for iNavX and MacENC and the Navionics charts from X-Traverse. The Navionics charts from X-Traverse are the same regardless of platform.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Thank you... again!

11-23-10 01:54 AM - Post#5913    

There are a few things you can do when using iNavX in low light conditions:

1) Adjust brightness on the device. On iPad double-tap the home button and slide task bar left to find brightness control. On iPhone, select "Settings" then "Brightness".

2) Select iNavX then "Preferences" then "Night View (Red Filter)" to "ON".

3) When a chart is displayed, select "Setup" then "Night View" to "ON".

4) When a chart is displayed, select the Maximize button.
Mac, iPhone, iPod, iPad Charting & Navigation & Weather
www.gpsnavx.com
This is a problem ... Why not use the same simple solution as found in the iBook App with the build in brightness button .. That can even turn the light much further down then the system brightness, so that the iPad can be used navigating at night ..

Yes the inavx app on the iPad is great for daytime navigation .. But, you have a big problem navigating at night due to the missing screen brightness control ...

Good suggestion to add a screen brightness control to the iNavX "Chart Setup". If iOS provides a public method to do so I will add to a future release. Often times Apple apps use private undocumented features.

UPDATE: It appears Kenterprise has given iNavX a one star rating in iTunes because iNavX does not have it's own brightness button. Even though one is provided by iOS, iNavX has a Red Screen overlay and a "Night Mode" for chart display. After further research, iBooks is using a private function to control the brightness. If I were to submit iNavX to Apple with it's own brightness control it would be rejected in app review.

UPDATE2: I have submited an iOS feature request asking Apple to make public a function to allow non Apple apps to control screen brightness.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Sounds like I shall need a bit of dark perspex in the interim.
I would like to add a dedicated gps sensor, such as the one recommended on the GPSNavX site (or maybe its bigger brother, the 920). Will this connect directly to the iPad via the Apple usb adaptor, or will I need to feed it through a multiplexer, such as the iMux?
Also, at a later date, I shall be upgrading the VHF to include DSC. Will this be able to receive and use position data from the iPad? Via an iMux maybe?

Yes iMux is the way to go.

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

" UPDATE: It appears Kenterprise has given iNavX a one star rating in iTunes because iNavX does not have it's own brightness button. Even though one is provided by iOS, iNavX has a Red Screen overlay and a "Night Mode" for chart display. After further research, iBooks is using a private function to control the brightness. If I were to submit iNavX to Apple with it's own brightness control it would be rejected in app review.

UPDATE2: I have submited an iOS feature request asking Apple to make public a function to allow non Apple apps to control screen brightness. "

Great, let's hope or the best, that would be fun to be able to use iNav at night as well, and thank you for your very quick reaction ...
Concerning the one star rating, the missing brightness control is not the only reason (that would not be fair) the main reason is the relative confusing UI and some Mickey Mouse stuff here and there ... Specially when compared to the Navionics App ...

Correct me if I'm wrong, Kenterprise, but isn't the Navionics App simply a chart plotter? It doesn't seem to have the ability to interface with such as an external GPS aerial, a DSC radio or NMEA instruments and thus provide a navigation hub... at least it doesn't list these abilities on its site.

Quote:Concerning the one star rating, the missing brightness control is not the only reason (that would not be fair) the main reason is the relative confusing UI and some Mickey Mouse stuff here and there ... Specially when compared to the Navionics App ...
I am really surprised regarding comparison :o

I would compare the Navionics app (and most of the other marine chart apps) this way. They are good chart viewers with important meta data, but do not provide much information for real-time navigation or an interface to external real-time instrumentation.

However, the good thing with iOS is it makes it very easy to switch between and run multiple apps. All can share the "Location Services" on the iPhone/iPad. None of the marine apps including iNavX cost a fortune. No reason not to have several as no one app is the end all solution.

The latest version of the Navionics app on iPad seems to be a bit buggy as I can't keep it running for more than a few minutes before it crashes. Others have reported the same in the app reviews and on Facebook. I am confident Navionics will address these issues in a future release.

Here is how I see iNavX different then some of the others ..

Access the largest library of up to date official charts and maps
Comprehensive route and waypoint management and navigation
Import/Export of waypoints, routes and tracks in both KML and GPX format
GRIB Weather overlay (wind, pressure, waves, precipitation rate and temperature)
Anchor alarm
True and Magnetic bearings
Great circle computation for all bearings and distance
NMEA-0183 display via TCP/IP
AIS target display
Digital compass
Instrument display
Chart and route printing
Chart emailing
Course Up chart orientation
Full screen display
Runs on both iPad and iPhone

Again I recommend one not limit themselves to any one app.

p.s. A one or two star rating is for an app "You hate". I interpret that to mean an app that provides no value. One that I would delete off of my iPhone/iPad.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

You quote NMEA-0183 display via TCP/IP. Can this information go in the other direction as well, to provide position information to a DSC radio?

Yes you can take the NMEA output of the Brookhouse iMux and connect it to a DSC radio in addition to an autopilot. iNavX combined with the iMux is a very flexible solution.

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

There are NO navigation features in Navionics Mobile: you can't go to a waypoint, neither a route! No SOG, no COG, only tracks. You can just create a WP, a route, but not use it as destination. It is simple charting app with GPS position and track displayed (charts are very slow to display).
However, POI database has a great number of information (available only connected to network), Google Maps overlay is well make, but as other data only with network, and wind vectors only comes with network, without pressure contour.
The one feature I appreciate, for french coasts, is tidal streams vectors available from SHOM (French Hydrographic Service) charts database.
On the other hand, iNavX is a complete boating app, provided with a number of features I hope to find in a chartplotter.
Anyway, it remains that Navionics has a very good and up-to-date charting, and their built-in app has the best value for money.
But I prefer use Navionics charts with iNavX, for open seas trip.

Kyle:

I use an iPad with internal GPS and iNavX as primary nav and a MacBook Pro with MacENC as a backup. For practical purposes, there is not much difference between the two software packages. Because I cruise in the US, the charts for both are free.

Neither is waterproof, so both must be protected from rain and spray. I turned the brightness control on the iPad to max, and it is plenty bright enough. The iPad internal GPS is adequate. It has problems getting a signal only if I position the iPad too close to the metal window frame, but once it is more than six inches away it has no problem getting a fix. I run both from ships power, so battery life is not relevant. My ten year old Raymarine chartplotter is only used as a radar screen. I never tried to connect either to the radar or AIS, as I prefer a separate screen.

I think you will be happy with either or both packages.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  INavX on iPad wit Bluetooth GPS Rullinger 1 1,869 November 11, 2021 14:57
Last Post: saltyruss
  ipad / iNavx reporting incorrect COG chouliha 3 3,377 July 21, 2014 23:35
Last Post: AlanR
  iNavx for iPad question Clell 1 2,749 August 11, 2013 15:15
Last Post: GPSNavX
  Dual xgps and Inavx with ipad mini redticker 2 2,892 March 24, 2013 15:00
Last Post: GPSNavX
  iPad Retina display and iNavX antipole 5 4,188 March 26, 2012 14:33
Last Post: verruijt