• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Is the iPad/iNavX good as a main nav sys?
Thank you FF44, Chez Nous and GPSNavX for the clarity of your answers. As soon as the iPad 2 is available here, I shall be joining you. Unfortunately 3G coverage in our area, the west coast of Scotland, is very poor, patchy at best. So it seems we shall still need a satellite GPS aerial. An Evermore SA-920 perhaps, via an iMux. Anyway, thanks!

You don't need 3G coverage : iPad 2 (WiFi+3G model) has a built-in GPS working well without the help of network assistance. No need of SIM, 3G or WiFi network at all!

This just keeps getting better and better! Thanks.

Another flexible feature in iNavX is you can use the GPS in the iPhone 4 or iPad 3G and still take external AIS NMEA data in (via the web or the iMux or iAIS or MacENC or other NMEA servers).
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Hi. Yes that is correct, the functionality of the two apps are quite different ... But, I was not talking about functionality , only about UI ...

Hi, you are surprised that I compare the UI of the two apps ?

I don't think this is a valid comparison. To exaggerate only ever so slightly, it's like saying the UI of iPhoto is easier than that of Photoshop. Sure, it is, but it depends what you want to achieve...

"There are NO navigation features in Navionics Mobile: you can't go to a waypoint, neither a route! No SOG, no COG, only tracks. You can just create a WP, a route, but not use it as destination. It is simple charting app with GPS position and track displayed (charts are very slow to display)."
That is just the worst statement that I have ever read, I don't know who you are working for, but is defenley not Navionics !
On the other hand, I don't think that you are doing anybody a favor, trying to give somebody a hand trying to find a easy and safe way to navigate his boat around ... Every statement you make in this paragraph is wrong in a major way ... What is going on here ??

http://www.metstrade.com/nl/en/2011/Docu...E_2010.pdf
That link might help to get things in the right perspective ...
Please don't get me wrong, iNavX is a good nav app .. In progress ! (please work on that UI) That offer many functions not to be found in other apps, that is great for the more technical interested navigator ... But if you just are interested in getting from A to B EASY then I can think of a better choice ..
Regards
Ken

Kenterprise we get it. You like Navionics apps and you "hate" iNavX as indicated by your one star rating of iNavX on the iTunes app store. By all means continue to use the Navionics apps, but I kindly ask that this thread/forum be used to discuss the usage of iNavX. There is a seperate Navionics section on this forum...

http://www.macsailing.net/fbb/showforum.php?fid/16/

Thank you.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  INavX on iPad wit Bluetooth GPS Rullinger 1 1,858 November 11, 2021 14:57
Last Post: saltyruss
  ipad / iNavx reporting incorrect COG chouliha 3 3,370 July 21, 2014 23:35
Last Post: AlanR