• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Autopilot
I recently interfaced Polar Navy navigation software with my Tecnautic autopilot. It works great. The boat automatically follows my route, turns at the waypoints and steers the route heading very precisely.

My setup uses a Mackbook Pro 15' laptop, Pharos 500 usb GPS, Keyspan USA-19HS usb serial adapter to connect the Tecnautic autopilot.

I highly recommend Polar Navy navigation software. It does what it is supposed to do very well and there support is second to none.

Flash Gordon

Flash

Do you think that this system work with a Simrad AP28?

PJ

The specs say that AP28 accepts NMEA 0183 input. Assuming it accepts the standard set of sentences - it should work just like any other NMEA 0183 compatible A/P.

Check your product documentation to make sure it accepts APB and RMB sentences as generated by PolarCOM (usually in conjunction with RMC which needs to be forwarded from the GPS receiver).

If memory serves (I'm in the UK; the boat's in Maine) the AP28 uses NMEA 2000 but there is a converter (AT 10 SimNet/NMEA 0183 converter)and from what I can determine it does accept APB and RMB sentences. But I'll check this out when I get back home. Thanks very much.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EV-100 Autopilot gotsnow 1 5,895 November 17, 2015 14:32
Last Post: Jade