• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Anchor alarm feedback - real life usage
I'm glad iNavX has an anchor alarm feature. I've been using it many times in the past months. We've been cruising in the mediterranean and anchorages have been mostly small, sometimes crowded, calas.
I encountered the following problems and annoyances:

- Trigger-distance to be set in nm, a bit abstract. (How far is 0.03 nm?). => Can't this be changed to meters/feet? Would be far more intuitive.

- Many times I was woken up because of a false alarm. The reason: Momentarily bad GPS reception (HPE > 200) put the position outside of the allowed circle, triggering the alarm. => It would be nice to be able to set the allowed HPE of fixes to be considered. Or be able to say which number of consecutive outside-fixes are required to trigger the alarm. This way you could avoid this type of false alarm.

- Modifying the anchor position / center point: Not possible to modify the center. => It should be possible to move the center point without having to set a new alarm. Like moving a waypoint.

- Alarm sound: The default sound is a matter of taste (it works very well to wake you up), but you should be able to shut it up instantaneously when you turn off the alarm. Since the sound clip is rather long, it will play completely to the end even if the alarm is turned off in the mean time. Using a shorter clip would improve this behaviour.

- Accessibility: The feature is in a very inconvenient place. Having to leave the chart screen, two levels back, and then having to reselect the chart etc to get back is very annoying. => Can't the anchor alarm feature be integrated via the icons on the bottom of the screen?

I'm enjoying using iNavX, just like MacENC and GPSNavX and I've been very happy with the support so far. It would be great if this feedback could also be taken into account for future updates.
John (aka Loith) Chapin
s/v Azura [url=http://svazura.net/][color:darkblue]HERE[/color] .
"A fishing rod is a stick with a hook at one end and a fool at the other." Samuel Johnson

A couple points:

Set the "Sub Distance" in the "Units" in the iNavX "Preferences" to either "Yds." or "Meters" and the Anchor alarm will use either feet or meters.

The next release of iNavX in regards to the Anchor Alarm:

- Adds the ability to set the distance and bearing to the anchor hence allowing the center point of the anchor alarm to be adjusted.

- Alarm Sound will stop immediately upon press of "Cancel" button or closing Anchor Alarm view.

- Will not trigger the alarm if the GPS position error is large.

- Will be accessible from both the iNavX main menu and from the "Instruments" banner and view setup.

Thanks for the real-world feed back.

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  proximity alarm for AIS phauselm 8 7,366 September 15, 2015 23:23
Last Post: g3vhb
  Setting anchor alarm Tom Smith 2 2,525 July 22, 2011 18:00
Last Post: Tom Smith
  Anchor Alarm iNavX stevemac00 1 3,771 July 15, 2010 07:21