• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Bahamas
What charts are available for the Bahamas for PolarNavy and what is approximate cost?

Thanks

ChartWorld should have a fairly complete coverage of Bahamas (primarily from UKHO). To check coverage and cost, follow instructions in this article:

http://support.polarnavy.com/knowledgeba...?article=4

Sea Slacker

I've been having a ball playing around with PolarView! I have one suggestion that may be easy to implement. My usual cruising grounds are downeast Maine and the Bay of Fundy with significant magnetic variation (14 to 20 degrees west). PolarView displays courses in degrees True. Would it be possible (once knowing the magnetic variation of an area) to update and display magnetic courses (similar to the ChartBooks we use on the Maine coast)?

Isn't magnetic variation calculated by the GPS unit and transmitted as a NMEA string?

Hi

Yes it is (or can be). But if your computer is not hooked up to the GPS and/or you're plotting a series of courses for a cruise while sitting in your easy chair at home, being able to read off magnetic courses may be useful. These could then be input to your autopilot from your laptop. Of course, we're not talking integral calculus here. It'd be simple to do: get the magnetic deviation, manually input it (or get from the GPS or published variations for a specific `Lat/Long), add or subtract it from true course that PolarView calcuates and then display the magnetic course along the route tracks (instead of true). An electronic menu display "button" could allow a user the option of choosing display true or magnetic courses. In addition a manual input could be possible for compass deviation as well.

Just an idea.

Cheers

PJ

can you please post radar system of PolarNavy.

The explorer BSB charts of the Bahamas offer great harbor detail, a one minute grid overlaid on all charts for easy navigation. I've had them for a while so I don't know where or cost.

Explorer charts are great, though I don't think they are currently available in BSB format (if anyone knows otherwise - let me know).

I think Maptech is selling Wavy Line charts of Bahamas in BSBv4 format currently. If you have these - also let me know, I'd be interested to see what they look like.