• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: iPad Retina display and iNavX
I would be glad to hear from Richard whether iNavX will need to be updated to take advantage of the Retina display?

Will the Navionix charts need updating? Or, as they are vector based, will that not be necessary?

thanks, Tony

Great thing about iOS is that all apps that use UIKit (such as iNavX) get the advantages of the retina display with no changes. Custom bitmap images like those in some buttons or table cells can be updated at a higher resolution. This is on my todo list to offer sharper versions of these images, but this has no impact on the chart or standard controls.

FWIW, the retina display has been available for quite some time since the iPhone 4 was released. iPad version is identical in the sense that 4X the number of pixels are offered.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Is there an impact of app size, and, if any, how much ?

Yes apps grow considerably in download and storage size when Retina 2X images are added. I would guess also some degree a bit higher memory requirements, but the retina iDevices typically have 2X the memory.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

The next release of iNavX will include retina bitmaps for custom buttons and menu items. This does not impact chart display which already takes advantage of retina display.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Richard,

My "new iPad" shows the AIS symbols and anything else that the app superimposes onto the (Navionics) chart in higher resolution than the chart itself. All Navionics data such as legends, lines and etc is distinctly less sharp.

The attached section of a screenshot should make this clear.

Hope there is something you can do about this.
I love celine handbags, I love life, I love Celine leather too.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  INavX on iPad wit Bluetooth GPS Rullinger 1 1,812 November 11, 2021 14:57
Last Post: saltyruss
  ipad / iNavx reporting incorrect COG chouliha 3 3,330 July 21, 2014 23:35
Last Post: AlanR
  iNavx for iPad question Clell 1 2,707 August 11, 2013 15:15
Last Post: GPSNavX
  Dual xgps and Inavx with ipad mini redticker 2 2,862 March 24, 2013 15:00
Last Post: GPSNavX
  Turn off internal compass/display iPad and iNavx JKar 2 4,324 November 18, 2011 08:19
Last Post: JKar