• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Bahamas charts on inav x
Is there any other charts than Navionics to be use with inavx In the Bahamas.
Navionics are not up to date at all In this part of the world.

Anyone uses NV charts In the Bahamas?

I did for the last 3 years... NV Charts are the Explorer Charts and the best to use in the Bahamas. If you use Navionics, you will go aground. A Lagoon sinked 2 years ago near Georgetown following Navionics' recommended route between Guana Cay and Fowl Cay. Explorer charts are showing a reef in the same spot. For more details: ipyoa.

To Navionics' credit, they updated this particular chart after the incident, but there are other errors like this on their Bahamas charts.

However, raster charts are a real pain to use with iNavX. It's worse than dealing with paper charts.

I wouldn't navigate The Bahamas without Explorer charts. So what I do is use Explorer Charts for the Lat/Long and their waypoints and add those to my INAVX with Navionics Charts. I have never been wrong. I do that for my main Raymarine E-80 chart plotter also.

For what it's worth, the Garmin Bluechart app uses Explorer data AND Active Captain. Just sayin'...

IMHO iNavx is a MUCH better product but I really feel like iNavx is missing the boat (so to speak) when it comes to the Explorer data and Active Captain.

The Bahamas are one of the most famous cruising grounds in the world and the Explorer Charts are the gold standard for navigation there. Currently I run both iNavx and Bluechart on my iPad and, as others have mentioned, Navionics would have run me aground on several occasions. I would love to dump the Garmin app but the Active Captain and Explorer data are critical.

As for Active Captain... Where are you going to anchor tonight? I don't know many sailors that don't use it, providing they have it available.

Mentioned are the Explorer Charts and the Active Captain charts for the Bahamas.
What Active Captain Charts??
Active Captain charts used in their App are horrible (or have I missed something)
Active Captain charts on the WEB are ok, but you need access to the Internet.
What am I missing here?
Thanks
Bill

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  iNav response to AIS MOB transmission antipole 0 3,619 September 5, 2015 06:00
Last Post: antipole
  Bahamas jsainc 1 2,167 September 5, 2013 16:05
Last Post: GPSNavX
  INav / MacEnc or NavX Interface? CMiles 6 7,262 May 31, 2009 17:03
Last Post: Paul Downie