• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: AIS Data
I am confused.

I have a Raymarine E80 system with an AIS 650 transceiver.

All the instrument data is forwarded to the AIS on NMEA 0183 at low speed. The AIS multiplexes the instrument data, adds the AIS data (I guess), and it is outputted to the E80 via 0183 high speed.

The AIS box has an USB output, but Polar Com only seems to tease out some GPS data. No instruments, no AIS data.

My goal would be to have all the Raymarine data at Polar Navy, and for Polar Navy to talk back too.

How can I do this?

Thanks for any guidance.

That is very similar to what I'm trying to do. Except I have the EM-Track B100, which looks suspiciously similar to the AIS650, except that it's orange.

The manuals are very cryptic, but I'm beginning to fear that the AIS unit does not multiplex incoming data to the USB port. Only from one NMEA port to the other. What instrument suite do you have and how is it converted to NMEA 0183? Are you using the RM NMEA bridge? If so, it has a serial port (some assembly required). So the next step would be to connect the instrument bridge independently to the laptop on another USB port. I haven't yet tried this.

For the time being, I'm simply trying to get Polarview to talk to the AIS unit and no other devices. Over the course of an hour, it will randomly connect and show a little GPS data for a few seconds at a time, but no AIS.

Of course, the other issue is whether or not the AIS unit is transmitting data correctly to the USB port. This can be tested using the software that came with the unit. (Mine did... if yours didn't you might try looking for downloads at Raymarine. Or try ProAIS2.) ProAIS2 doesn't have any problems receiving GPS or AIS data from my unit, where Polarview can't see anything.

Sorry for the late reply. I have been wifi challenged for a few days. I seem to have exactly the same results. I can connect, sort of, via USB. I do have the ProAIS software and see lots of messages received via the ProAIS data stream, but only random stuff to Polar Navy.

My instruments all use seatalk ports and I'm not sure how or where it gets converted. Maybe through one of the MFD?