• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Boot Camp, Windows 8, Airmail
I have used Boot Camp, Windows Vista, and Airmail software for e mail access via SSB radio for many years.

But I have a new MacBook Air and I see that Windows 8 is not supported by Apple but see instructions everywhere now to set it up....

Seems like Windows 8 OEM software is available in 32 or 64 bit editions at the same price point.

Any advantage other than a smaller partition size to using the 32 or 64 bit editions? Suggestions which to buy?

Thanks,

John

Have you considered Windows 8 and Parallels?

Is Airmail compatible with Windows 8?

The bigger question is, why is there not a Mac version of Airmail? Why has the developer ignored the Mac segment of users?
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I have long admired the (1) SailMail system and (2) the functionality and versatility of the AirMail software. Only very recently has there started to OSx & IOS apps that approach the functionality but I think AirMail and the SailMail system still sets a high standard. My understanding is that the developer is NOT motivated by profit but created SailMail and AirMail as a generous hobbyist effort and if that is true he is likely open to sharing reference/support and maybe even source with a proven developer in the OSx/IOS realm.

http://siriuscyber.net/airmail/docs.htm

AirMail is written and supported by Jim Corenman, KE6RK, a long-time ham and cruising sailor. A computer professional in his former life, Jim and his wife and partner Sue (KB6FRF) live and travel aboard "Heart of Gold", their 50' sloop, and stay in touch with family and friends primarily via Pactor. They can be reached by sending email to Airmail Support ( airmail3 'at' airmail2000.com ... include "airmail" in the subject line) or by sending email to KE6RK followed by @winlink.org.

Click the following links for more information:

The Pactor Primer, Almost everything you wanted to know about getting started with Ham Radio Email
RF Interference is a technical note with infomation on dealing with RF interference. If you are having communications problems then READ THIS!

There are three major "users" of Airmail software:

1) SailMail users

2) Winlink users

3) Emergency communications users like ARES, Navy MARS, Army MARS, etc.

I agree with you, by now I would have thought Airmail would have been ported over to the Mac OS. There clearly is a need and I would think a market for a developer to do the work.

Windows is on board my vessel JUST to support this one application.....

John

I have purchased Parallels Desktop 7 and will try it after a Boot Camp and Windows 8 install. Stand bye!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows? Are you mad? ReeferJon 2 8,867 February 17, 2010 07:28
Last Post: jagasail
  Boot Camp and Parallels: A progress report of test versions adjuvantjfoster 2 6,912 November 24, 2006 04:42
Last Post: outstripp