• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Unknown chart symbols
I have Navionics charts for use with iNavX. I have seen a couple of symbols used on these that (a) are not on the corresponding NOAA chart(s) and (b) not listed in Chart No 1 (Symbols Abbreviations and Terms).

For example, go to 32d 00.4'N 080d 43.7'W and you will find in this general area on the Navionics US and N. Bahama charts a symbol that looks like a sea bird on a long leg. That is not on the NOAA chart nor is it a NOAA symbol.

Another one I've seen is a circle (I think it was red) with a white horizontal bar in it. It looks sort of like a do not enter street sign, but in some places on the Navionics charts they are spread across a large area. Again they are not a NOAA symbol.

Is there some list of Navionics specific symbols?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Also looking for this. Looks like some good additional information on the charts. Some makes sense like the anchor for anchorage. But the chicken symbol is a one I have not been able to figure out.

Is there a list of these symbols somewhere.

Navionics will need to provide this information since they are the producer of the Gold charts that X-Traverse sells for use in iNavX. Please contact Navionics ..

http://www.navionics.com/en/customers
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

wgkenney Wrote:Is there a list of these symbols somewhere.
All Navionics symbols are International Chart Symbols. In France, French Hydrographic Office (SHOM) provides Publication #1D in which all official marine charting symbols are detailed, both French and English.
To be downloaded for free here in PDF format: SHOM 1D