• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: 500mb Grib Winds available
Thought I had another thread on this but couldn't find it. Anyway, Saildocs just made 500mb wind available in their grib files. The parameter is:

WIND500

I tried viewing it in GPSNavX combined with the 500mb heights, and it worked great. However, the winds do not appear in the current version of MacENC.

A great weather tool.

Scot

Great, we will add that to the 500mb Height GRIB request. Also will allow MacENC to plot both the wind speed/direction and the pressure for 500mb Height.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Thanks; a great piece of software just gets better and better Big Grin ~~_/)~~ Big Grin

I thought hPA (hectoPascal) is the standard international unit for selecting weather data.
So why the millibar (mb) unit? In Europe it isn't used anymore.

Or am I wrong here?

Regards,

Manou

Oh I forgot to write: I know that 1hPA = 1 mb.
But the 500mb Wind GRIB file I tried yesterday gave me very high numbers: 5675 5786 etc. or low numbers if I suppose it this way 567.5 578.6 etc.

500mb charts work a little differently than surface charts. The contours on a 500 chart are actually heights at which the pressure is 500mb, so what you're seeing, for example, is 5675 meters elevation. However, in a practical sense they can be read like a surface chart.

Steve Dashew's Weather Handbook has a very extensive discussion of 500mb charts.

Scot