• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: AIS Receiver
I just ordered & received the AIS Receiver from NASA-UK and am trying to figure out if it is possible to hook it up & work on my 300mhz Mac G3 Wallstreet Powerbook(PB). This PB has a built-in serial port which my GPS uses but how do I hook up the AIS receiver which also requires a serial port? I have a USB PCMCIA card also installed in this PB which the Keyspan USB-to-Serial adapter can be plugged into. Can I plug the AIS receiver via the Keyspan adapter into this PB USB card and will GPSNavX be able to read the NMEA info. from BOTH serial ports at the same time? This Powerbook looks just like the one on the GPSNavX Home Page.

First off congrats on being able to run OS X 10.3 and GPSNavX on a 300 MhZ G3!! I have to imagine the performance is painfully slow.

Yes GPSNavX can read GPS data from one port (your serial port) and AIS data from your USB port via the Keyspan Adapter.

You will want to configure the AIS panel settings such that the port

is /dev/USA-XXXX

and the rate is

Make sure you install the Keyspan OS X driver software.

No NMEA data will be available until you are in range on vessels that have AIS transponders. AIS creates allot of NMEA data and will certainly put a burden on your G3.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I haven't got a Nasa AIS receiver in front of me, but doesn't it have a "passthrough" serial port? Is there a disadvantage to doing this?

---Taken from allgadgets.co.uk---

The AIS engine receives AIS data and converts it to NMEA format and then sends it to any display equipped to receive it. The engine can also receive NMEA information from a GPS receiver (at 4800 baud) which it then sends on to the display with the AIS data (at 38,400 baud).

------

Is my Powerbook Pismo G3 with 512Mb RAM and 10.3 going to have problems with multiple AIS targets?

Would Tiger improve the situation on a G3, or make it worse?

Yes you can connect your GPS to the NASA AIS receiver via the thin blue wire. Connect the GPS transmit out to the wire and ground to common ground. Now the downside is the AIS receiver is going to pass only the GPRMC message through. So you willl lose satellite, route and waypoint info from the GPS and hence to GPSNavX. So I advise against it.

If you have dozens of targets in a busy harbor that will certainly push GPSNavX hard on a G3. Tiger should improve the situation with it's new improved rendering model.

In verison 3.28 GPSNavX had several things changed to improve performance. So I would give it a try and report back to us about GPSNavX GPS and AIS performance on a G3.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

OK, I'm giving in to a new powerbook. My G3 Wallstreet just won't get it. But here's the question. Both my GPS and the AIS receiver is SERIAL. Do I need TWO Keyspan adapters. ( one for each USB port)? If Yes, will they both work using the same keyspan software? OR is there a Keyspan adapter with TWO serial ports that will work?
Jack

You need two serial ports. This can be achieved with two keyspan adapters or one. Once the Keyspan OS X driver software is installed then each serial port will have it's own name (i.e. /dev/USA-XXX1, /dev/USA-XXX2)

You can use (2) of these..

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/usa19hs/

Or (1) of these..

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/USA49w/

The advantage of the four port model is you could drive an autopilot with the third serial port.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

There seem to be moreand more of these coming on the market these days. for example,

http://www.sealinks.net/SL161RPage.htm

It sounds as if this one has special software to pull all the data from an AIS signal, and GPSNavX is not mentioned as having been tested with it. I think I'll send off a note to them. Meanwhile, from their pages:

"With the addition of the embedded 12 channel GPS receiver and the optional Enhanced Signal Analysis software, supplemental diagnostic functions become available such as:

Slot Numbering
Paket Time of Arrival
Partial Packet Reception
VDL oading
Received Signal Strength Indication
Ambient Noise Measurement
The RadarPlus SL161R includes dual AIS receivers in a rugged water resistant aluminum enclosure. When attached to a VHF antenna optimized at 162Mhz, the RadarPlus serial data output will drive most popular marine charting software packages available today. The output provides the location of all AIS transponders within receiving range. Other interface options, such as USB, Ethernet, and RS-422 are available to increase the overall flexibility of the RadarPlus SL161R.

Information gathered by the RadarPlus SL161R is more detailed than radar and provides the everyday boater with the same information afforded to commercial vessels. Now you can see what's coming on your PC or chart-plotter long before it is in your line of sight.

The RadarPlus SL161R allows AIS enabled software to chart ship positions and descriptions in real-time.
The following packages have been tested and are fully operational with the SL161R:

Rose Point - Coastal Explorer
ICAN - Regulus
Transas - NaviSailor
Xanatos - Titan
Nobeltec - Admiral
EuroNav - seaPro
To request full serial interface specifications, please e-mail info@shinemicro.com or call Shine Micro at (360) 437-2503."

I just got my NASA AIS receiver hooked up & it seems to be working here in the Chesapeake Bay just fine. However, most of the targets show good information. But some only show "????" in the ID box and only show SOG, COG, Distance, but no vessel name, call sign or size. Why is this?

Also a suggestion: Have an option to NOT disconnect the AIS when the panel is closed.