• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Price changes and upgrades to MacENC
The price of MacENC was recently increased to US$139.95. The 18 month introductory period has ended. MacENC is a very complete marine navigation package. Even at its new price MacENC represents a great value when compared to it's MS-Windows counter parts.

MacENC will continue to improve going forward. The purchase price includes all upgrades.

For those of you who purchased our original marine navigation application GPSNavX, we offer an upgrade price to MacENC of US$99.95 Contact gpsnavx@mac.com on how to upgrade.

GPSNavX will continue to be priced at the very reasonable US$59.95
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

We are currently using GPS Nav X on our iBook G4, max RAM.

Should we upgrade to to Mac ENC? We currently only have Maptech BSB charts.

You advice, pro & cons, would be appreciated.

When you factor in the amount of functionality that MacENC provides, together with the unrivalled support offered by the author, it still represents amazing value for money.

Keep up the excellent work, GPSNavX..!

ReeferJon Wrote:When you factor in the amount of functionality that MacENC provides, together with the unrivalled support offered by the author, it still represents amazing value for money.

Keep up the excellent work, GPSNavX..!
Oh, don't get me wrong. Smile I am absolutely fine about the few extra £££s. I would gladly pay it, no problem.

I just need to know if it is the right decision to migrate over to Mac ENC.

I find that having two products to choose from rather confusing.

EclipseMullet, I would certainly recommend upgrading to MacENC, even if you're still using BSB charts.

I actually prefer MacENC's BSB support to GPSNavX. Plus, you'll have the option to run S57 cartography when you eventually decide to upgrade.

Moreover, there's an increasing number of additional features that are only included in MacENC, so that product very much represents the most future-proof option. Check out the product comparison [url=http://www.gpsnavx.com/html/compare.html]here

And at almost $2 to £1 it's a bargain![/list]

ReeferJon Wrote:EclipseMullet, I would certainly recommend upgrading to MacENC, even if you're still using BSB charts.

I actually prefer MacENC's BSB support to GPSNavX. Plus, you'll have the option to run S57 cartography when you eventually decide to upgrade.

Moreover, there's an increasing number of additional features that are only included in MacENC, so that product very much represents the most future-proof option. Check out the product comparison [url=http://www.gpsnavx.com/html/compare.html]here

And at almost $2 to £1 it's a bargain![/list]

Great thanks.

That's sorted then. We will upgrade to MacENC when the boat goes back in the water.

I see you are based in the UK. What are the sources of S57 cartography?

I bought my charts from Chartworld http://www.chartworld.com . The supply "official" S57 charts that you need to by on a per chart basis (and are quite expensive) or Navionics charts, in S57 format.

I've got the Navionics "English Channel - Northern Part" chart pack (€150) that covers most of my sailing area.

[Image: 1I02019_S_ENGLISH_CHANNEL_-_NORTHERN_PAR...0_ICON.PNG]

The Navionics charts, in general are good value for money, and roughly comparible to prices for Maptech raster charts of a similar area. There are some minor MacENC rendering issues (as apparently Navionics use some non-standard S57 attributes for things like place names), but I find the charts perfectly adequate. Anyway, I believe that MacENC is currently being enhanced to use IHO symbols which will improve chart appearance.

If you'd like to see some example renderings of Solent charts, check out [url=http://www.macsailing.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=142]this post or [url=http://web.mac.com/jonknight/iWeb/High%20Spirit/Technical.html]these images .

There are instructions on how to register your account with Chartworld and MacENC [url=http://www.gpsnavx.com/pdf/ChartWorld.pdf]here...

Hope this helps!

Interesting. Many thanks.

I see you have an AIS input. We are about to do this. Can you tell me what kit you have?

A Nasa AIS engine https://www.nasamarine.com , with standard VHF aerial connected to the Mac via a Keyspan USB to Serial adapter. At the moment the VHF antenna is not properly mounted on the pushpit. I plan to do this over the next few weekends.

I'm going to update my site with some new photos to reflect the new gear I've fitted. I'll post when it's complete.

I see this question was asked last July but the response was not definitive. Now I see Navionics charts mentioned again in this thread.

I have Navionics Gold charts supplied on a little card which slots into my Raymarine plotter.

So, assuming I can get this data into my MacBook, presumably via a card reader, will it work with MacENC?

Don't see why I would need permission to do this as I have bought the charts.
Regard,
John Proctor
VK3JP/VKV6789
S/V Chagall
Sun Odyssey 37.2

The only Navionics charts that work with MacENC come from ChartWorld and in the S-57/S-62 format.

Both our apps (GPSNavX and MacENC) work with open standards. That would be S-57 ENC and BSB RNC.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

GPSNavX Wrote:The only Navionics charts that work with MacENC come from ChartWorld and in the S-57/S-62 format.

Both our apps (GPSNavX and MacENC) work with open standards. That would be S-57 ENC and BSB RNC.

OK This is starting to look promising.

Now, I had a closer look at my Navionics card. It is simply a SanDisk 256mb Complact Flash Card with a Navionics sticker on it. Not clear whether it is a type 1 or type 2. These cards cost £8.50 in the UK

A SanDisk USB2.0 CompactFlash Card Reader (Mac Compatible) costs £11.99 in the UK.

It looks as though my Mac Book can read the Navionics Card.

Two questions remain.
Is a Navionics chart from Navionics any different to a Navionics chart from Chartworld?
Do Chartworld supply Navionics charts on Compact Flash cards?

I the answer to both is yes then presumably I can Use MacENC with my Navionics charts.

Or am I missing something?
Regard,
John Proctor
VK3JP/VKV6789
S/V Chagall
Sun Odyssey 37.2

I'm pretty sure that Navionics commercial cartography ("Classic", "Gold" and "Platinum" isn't stored in encrypted S57 format, and therefore wouldn't work with MacENC. (It is derived from S57 format charts, but that doesn't really help!)

There's no mention, on their site, of their "commercial" cartography (which, one would presume, includes the S57 cartography available from Chartworld.

However, for the cost of a SD-card reader, it may well be worth a try to see if you can read the data off the card with MacENC.

I've emailed Navionics your questions, and as soon as I hear back from them, I'll post the response.

ReeferJon Wrote:I'm pretty sure that Navionics commercial cartography ("Classic", "Gold" and "Platinum" isn't stored in encrypted S57 format, and therefore wouldn't work with MacENC. (It is derived from S57 format charts, but that doesn't really help!)

There's no mention, on their site, of their "commercial" cartography (which, one would presume, includes the S57 cartography available from Chartworld.

However, for the cost of a SD-card reader, it may well be worth a try to see if you can read the data off the card with MacENC.

I've emailed Navionics your questions, and as soon as I hear back from them, I'll post the response.

Can someone explain to me what S-57, S-62 means in layman's terms?

Quote:Can someone explain to me what S-57, S-62 means in layman's terms?

Both are vector graphics formats which are opposed to bitmapped BSB charts which are scanned maps/charts.

Vector graphics don't use as much space on your harddisk as bitmap charts.
But the main advantage is that these charts can be zoomed in and out whithout loosing details. Plus text or symbols are always drawn in the same direction if yoir rotate the map.

S-57 charts are non-protected charts (mainly US seas) where as S-62 are charts which are licenced by a code and are only usable on 1 computer. Most European vector charts are stored in the S62 format.

Both formats are called ENC charts and all main chart plotter manufacturers do use these ENC charts, but do include some changes (special options like 3D, Radar, special symbols etc.) so that these charts are compatible with the same make only.

As stated somewhere: MacENC uses the industrial standard that is S57/S62.
Last week I bought S62 charts from Chartworld for Netherlands and Belgium. Works fine with MacEnc.
They did send me the charts and can pay (178€ incl. VAT) later (14 days).
I think I can use these charts on 1-5 different computers! There site stated that I have bought a licence for 5 computers/users. Which is great, so I plan my journey on my Mac at home and use my iBook when sailing.

Many thanks, cyberhusky.

A 5 user license is GREAT news to me........ I was just getting depressed by the concept of a single user license and was having difficulty chossing the charts to buy...... Two of us want to have copies on our portables to plan passages and argue about them in the pub before joining the boat!

Thanks for the news

This is what is marked on my profile at www.chartworld.com

Max. number of users: 1- 5 users = 1 licence

The only problem I see is the ENC user permit licence: which is linked to the charts and MacENC.
Running MacENC on another Mac gives you another ENC user permit number.

The chart licence is copied in a special file which can be read by MacENC.
I suppose Chartworld can give you another chart licence file (up to 5 for different ENC permit numbers)

Manou

ReeferJon Wrote:I've emailed Navionics your questions, and as soon as I hear back from them, I'll post the response.

Any news yet? I emailed Chartworld asking whether I could buy their charts, put them on a Compact Flash card, and use them in my Raymarine Series C. They have not replied.

Seems as though this is not a Mac only problem. There is an interesting thread on YBW where a chap wants to use his "Navionics Gold" charts on a PC for planning purposes.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php?C...ost1390027

From the the replies here and on the thread above it seems that the Navionics Navionics charts and the Chartworld Navionics charts use the same source data but are supplied in different formats.

It has been said that Navionics Gold "isn't stored in encrypted S57 format" but nowhere can I find what format it is stored in.

Moving along, I bought a card reader, plugged it into my MacBook and inserted my "Navionics Gold" card. I can read the contents. There is a dire warning on the "Navionics Gold" box telling you not to do this. I put the card back in the plotter and it worked just fine. So my plotter can read and use the card and my Mac can read the card.

Then I opened my demo copy of MacENC.

[Image: Nav1.jpg]

It can see the charts but does not recognise them and won't let me add the chart folder.

Therefore any problems must be caused by the supplier of the data interfering with the data to limit the way/s in which the data is used with no consideration at all for the paying customer who wants to use what he bought on more than one device.

Navionics have sold me "Navionics Gold" charts which my plotter can read and use but my Mac with MacENC can see but not use. PC's running Raymarine planning software can use "Navionics Gold" charts for planning so it is possible.

However, if I buy Chartworld Navionics Charts, my Mac with MacEnc can read and use the charts. I presume I can copy these charts onto a Compact Flash card but I don't know whether my Raymarine Series C plotter would be able to read them.

This is completely ridiculous and strikes me as being similar to the I-Tunes/I-Pod/OtherMP3 players situation which the European Commission announced this morning was illegal under competition legislation.

I don't care which way I go Navionics Gold to Mac or Chartworld Navionics to Raymarine C Series plotter but I want to use the data I have bought and paid for on both devices.
Regard,
John Proctor
VK3JP/VKV6789
S/V Chagall
Sun Odyssey 37.2

MacENC works specifically with S-57 Format ENCs (published open standard). They can be stored with S-63 encryption (published open standard). The Chartworld ENCs are in this format compatible with MacENC. On the otherhand the Navionics cards are in a proprietary format which MacENC cannot read.

I never got a reply from Navionics, where Chartworld has been very responsive.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

As far as I understood it only the publically available ENC charts are those in S-57 format. The encrypted version is the S-63 format used for mainly European and NON USA charts.
All other formats (Navionics, Blue Chart, SeaMax etc.) are all based on the offically published ENC data. That is they do use the same data, but do add their own data too, which is only available with their proprietary applications.
That's why these charts (Navionics etc) can't be read by MacENC, because it's a proprietary format.

Till now MacENC is the only application which does read the S63 charts!

Quote:Till now MacENC is the only application which does read the S63 charts!

http://www.iho.shom.fr/ECDIS/s63intro.htm

Here is a list of all the companies that have developed S63 compatible software..

Furuno Finland Oy
Kelvin Hughes Limited
SAM Electronics (STN Atlas)
MARIS
Tresco Engineering
SevenCs
TRANSAS
Sperry Marine (Litton Marine)
Thales Nederland B.V.
Sea Information Systems Ltd
PC Maritime
Simex Co. Ltd.
Poonghan International Co., Ltd.
Raytheon Marine GmbH
Nautical Digital Equipment (NAUDEQ)
Euronav Limited
Centre for Automation of Mission Critical Systems (CAMS)
Danish Maritime Institute
HITT BV
Imtech Marine & Industry
Safe Software Inc.
Kongsberg Maritime Ships Systems
ICAN International Communications and Navigation Ltd
Plan-GIS GmbH
CherSoft Ltd.
HDW Hagenuk Schiffstechnik GmbH
QPS BV
Adveto Advanced Technology AB
VisSim
ARI Labs Pvt. Ltd.
Olex AS
Denbridge Digital Ltd
Ware SL
SODENA
HSA Systems
GEM Elettronica
Tresco Navigation Systems bvba
Offshore Systems Ltd
YOKOGAWA Denshikiki Co., Ltd
Contego as
Kordi / Kriso
Australian Hydrographic Service
Tokimec Inc
Japan Radio Co.
Nippon Sogo Systems, Inc.
PC Studio Alpha Ltd
Todaka Corp.
Northport Systems Inc. / Fugawi
DCN
Sainsel Systemas Navales, S.A.
Norcontrol IT
e-MLX Co. Ltd.
Navicon A/S
SFA, Inc.
Caris
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries LTD
Robosail Systems BV
Hitachi Ltd., Defense Systems Group
NTT Data Corporation
JSC "Marine Bridge & Navigation Systems"
GPSNavX
BAE Systems - Integrated System Technologies Ltd
BMT Ltd.
NEC Corporation
Saab TransponderTech AB
C-MAP Norway AS
R-Süsteemid Ltd.
L-3 Communications Navigation AS
ScanNav
Hypack, Inc.
Nautical Science & Technology Institute, Dalian Maritime University
GateHouse A/S
Morintech
IIC Technologies Private Limited
Barco Orthogon GmbH
Fin Skog Geomatics Int
Navielektro KY
Atlas Elektronik GmbH
Terra Vision Pty Ltd
Samsung Heavy Industries Co. Ltd.
Ledwood Technology Ltd
Dalian Maritime University
Mitsui Engineering & Shipbuilding Co. Ltd.
Ivar Yrke
Oyo Corporation
Just Planning System Co.
Luciad NV
Global Navigation Software Company
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I'm not trying to criticise MacENC here. It's a terrific product. I understand that there are different standards and MacENC only works with open standards.

My problem is that I will shortly be buying more electronic charts and I like the Navionics product. In any case I'm not sure that any of the other suppliers would be any better so far as compatibily is concerned.

What I don't like is Navionics fiddling with the data (or adding more data) to make my charts unreadable on certain equipment. I don't want to have to choose to buy Chartworld Navionics for my Mac/ENC or Navionics Navionics for my plotter. I want to buy the charts and use them on both but I'm certainly not buying them twice.

This use of DRM to restrict consumer choice re hardware/software seems similar to what the music companies are doing and they have run foul of the European commision.

I would like to get my facts straight before I tackle Raymarine and Navionics and I'm still not clear whether I can use Chartworld Navionics on my plotter.
Regard,
John Proctor
VK3JP/VKV6789
S/V Chagall
Sun Odyssey 37.2

seems like sailors have to fight against having paid for a digitised chart :to not being prevented from copying this info to another mac or pc; as often the use of a thumb drive or camera card is necessary between home and the vessel which can be 1000's of NM away due to being berthed say, in a more equatorial place for climate considerations, or just because a legal usage is for passage making.Sailors really make the decisions!We are out there often alone! Updates readily available are important , The rocks do not move usually, although Indian Ocean seismic events may make chart contour changes essential.Of more import to small boat sailors is weather info in realtime such is offered by grib.us and other providers.What continues to escape forecasters is the "local anomaly" which can be a huge thunderstorm or water spouts, all lethal to the small boat sailor, but caused by local topology, resulting in an alarming and dangerous weather phenomenon with huge seas. Sore point that all this local crap is unobservable in the macro scale of forecasting![color:darkblue][/color]

GPSNavX Wrote:Here is a list of all the companies that have developed S63 compatible software..

Very impressive list.
But most of these applications are for the professional mariners.
When I wrote that MacENC would be the only application, I had in mind all the navigational programs and the expensive famous plotter/nav applications like MaxSea etc. that have been tested in sailor mags recently. None of these could read S63 charts.

The list also shows some free or non expensive applications for Windows which use S63 charts.