• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Price changes and upgrades to MacENC
GPSNavX Wrote: http://www.iho.shom.fr/ECDIS/s63intro.htm
I think I'm finally seeing what's going on here. The first couple of paragraphs from the link above make it very clear.

IHO Data Protection Scheme - S-63 Wrote:S-63 describes the IHO recommended standard for the protection of ENC information. It defines security constructs and operating procedures that must be followed to ensure that the IHO Data Protection Scheme is operated correctly and to provide specifications that allow participants to build compliant systems.

The IHO Data Protection Standard has been developed and is maintained by the International Hydrographic Organisation's (IHO) Data Protection Scheme Working Group (DPSWG).

Edition 1.0 of the S-63 standard is based on the protection scheme developed and operated by Primar as part of their protected ENC service. The Norwegian Electronic Chart Centre AS (ECC - www.ecc.as) and United Kingdom Hydrographic Office (UKHO - www.ukho.gov.uk) were the original contributing organisations.

S63 is a standard for the protection of data. No surprise that the two hydrographic services mentioned above were behind it.

"Open" is not the word I would use about data supplied in S63 format. I would describe S57 data as "open"

The situation we face is very similiar to what the music companies forced on Apple when the I-Tunes music store started. Copyright holders terrified of what will happen to their legacy high cost/high price business model and it's revenue stream when faced with new low cost technology.

Just this week one music company blinked and removed DRM though not before increasing prices 30%. I'm not holding my breath that that will happen with digital charts.

My goal was to buy one set of charts and use the data on my plotter and my MacBook using MacENC.

Chartworld were adamant that this would not be possible with their S63 charts. They will work with MacEnc but not with the plotter.

Raymarine have not replied but my Navionics Gold Charts certainly won't work on MacENC (at present).

However the door is not closed entirely. If I buy a Raymarine card reader and download some Raymarine planning software I can use my Navionics Gold card on a PC. I don't know whether this would work under Boot Camp on my MacBook or whether MacENC might eventually evolve to read Navionics Gold cards.

Interestingly I was able to upgrade the software on my plotter by downloading a Mac file from the Raymarine site. This file was copied to a compact flash card using my newly acquired card reader then then the card was inserted into the plotter and the software upgraded without difficulty.

I have failed in my quest. The only currently available option is to buy the same charts twice (Isn't DRM wonderful!). Once as Navionics Gold and once as Chartworld Navionics S63. This might be an option if I remained in one sailing area but not on my present cruise.

For now it looks like I will have to opt for Navionics Gold and that is a shame.
Regard,
John Proctor
VK3JP/VKV6789
S/V Chagall
Sun Odyssey 37.2

When I say "open", I mean well documented standards. The format that the charts are stored on the Navionics cards is not publically documented.

All of the IHO documents are online..

http://www.iho.shom.fr/PUBLICATIONS/download.htm

I was able to develop MacENC following the S-52, S-57 and S-63 specifications.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

GPSNavX Wrote:When I say "open", I mean well documented standards. The format that the charts are stored on the Navionics cards is not publically documented.
I was able to develop MacENC following the S-52, S-57 and S-63 specifications.

And thanks very much for doing so. It's an excellent application.

I guess in this brave new digital world we are at the mercy of copyright holders.

I suspect that what is going on might be illegal. Consumers are being prevented by copyright holders from using legally purchased content on legally purchased equipment.

I've asked Raymarine why they have restricted my use of my Navionics card to their plotter, their card reader (not available) and their planning software on a computer platform that they have chosen. No answer yet.

If you got hold of the Navionics "standards" might MacENC evolve to read their charts?
Regard,
John Proctor
VK3JP/VKV6789
S/V Chagall
Sun Odyssey 37.2

Yes if Navionics, Garmin, or C-Map would publish their formats we would be very interested in supporting them. So far none have done so. S-57 is the format the government agencies have adopted and certified. Why has Raymarine or Garmin decided not to use it?
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

IMHO, the navigation chart world is just at the beginning of the move to the “open” world. The current players Raymarine et al have always been proprietary in their approach and will hang on to that until they die. The “open” world will provide lower cost solutions than their proprietary world even can. Just look what happened to the proprietary mini-computer world. I would suggest the best approach is to ignore their proprietary formats.

Ray

Most chart data (surveys) are done at the expense of the tax payer. One can look to NOAA and now CHS as to the future of digital charts. It's just a matter of time before all electronic charts are free to download and available in S-57 ENC format. The days of a box, CD, and manual are long gone.

Both Garmin and Raymarine have put forth expensive closed proprietary systems. The complete opposite of the microprocessor world with its open standards for networking and files.

Back in 2002 when I started developing nav software for the Mac I saw on the Windows world, expensive clumsy solutions. I aspired to do better and offer a fair price. Frequent updates available for immediate download fit into that strategy.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

You have done better - much better. The "open" world will always arrive at better solutions at a much lower cost.

Ray

GPSNavX Wrote:It's just a matter of time before all electronic charts are free to download and available in S-57 ENC format.
I really hope you are right but given the huge revenue streams generated by the current system I'm not optimistic.
GPSNavX Wrote:Both Garmin and Raymarine have put forth expensive closed proprietary systems.
Guess who made my kit! I bought my boat second hand (8+ years old) and it was fitted with Autohelm (Now Raymarine) electronics. I also have 2 Garmin handheld GPS's. When the radar failed it seemed logical to stick with Raymarine for compatibility and I was happy with the new kit. I had a lead included in the installation to feed the GPS to my Mac.

All OK until I discovered the chart problem. I've learned my lesson. I'ts not an option to change my electronics now but if/when upgrade/replacement time comes I know what to look for.

GPSNavX Wrote:Back in 2002 when I started developing nav software for the Mac I saw on the Windows world, expensive clumsy solutions. I aspired to do better and offer a fair price. Frequent updates available for immediate download fit into that strategy.
Quite right too. This customer is very happy with your software and approach.

I guess your situation is similar to Apple's when they launched I-Tunes. The ability to offer innovative products to customers is fettered by backward thinking owners of copyrighted material.
Regard,
John Proctor
VK3JP/VKV6789
S/V Chagall
Sun Odyssey 37.2