• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: New Ownership, Happy New Year
Happy New Year!

Macsailing.net wants to thank you for being a member, and wish you all the best for 2017.

You may have noticed that Macsaiing.net was recently listed for sale. We are happy to announce that the sale has closed and the transition is well underway with over 90% completion. I want to personally thank Jon for creating and managing the forum, and for his help in the transition. Jon will still be here, and has offered to help. Thank you, Jon!

Who am I? Well, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Russ, and I live in San Francisco. I work in the high-tech world of Silicon Valley. I am an avid sailor and especially like offshore voyages and ocean cruising. I sail on the San Francisco Bay and off the coast of Northern California most of the time, but I have sailed up and down the California coast. I have been sailing for over 20 years and have completed the US Sailing certifications for Sail and Power vessels. I recently completed the US Coast Guard Captains course for 100T Master Ocean, Sail and Tow. I spent time in the US Navy as a Deep Sea Diver, and am a member of 2 yacht clubs, Ballena Bay Yacht Club and Presidio Yacht Club . I am also a member of a sailing club, Club Nautique , a fantastic sailing club that offers all the training you need, boat charters, and a great community. People from all over the world travel to Club Nautique's location on the San Francisco Bay to take sailing lessons, and charter boats to sail in the Bay and the Pacific Ocean.

My boat is a 2003 Jeanneau 52.2, Blue Moon, MMSI 367647990. You can track her on Marinetraffic.com by searching for the MMSI #. She has an LOA of 51', and a beam of 16', draft is 7.5'.
Blue Moon is a sturdy and capable cruiser and is equipped for ocean passages. She has 2x Raymarine e127 MFDs, RD418HD Color Radar, AIS transceiver, EPIRB, 8-person life raft, water maker, 1100+ Ah gel cell battery bank, Fusion AV700 – (gotta have tunes!) and yes – Satellite TV.

I use my Macbook Air, iPad, and iPhone for the majority of my sailing needs. I use a multitude of apps and software, but the most often used are iNavX, Theyr, Navionics, Tide Data, and of course the Raymarine apps for viewing and controlling the MFD functions.

I must confess that I also carry two Android tablets onboard.

I am excited to be a part of this community, and I look forward to furthering our discussions and member base. Please share content with your friends and social media followers to help build an awesome global community of sailors! We have an updated Facebook page and Twitter account. Upgrades to the forum site are coming soon.

Have a super 2017, and let's make Macsailing and iPhonesailing awesome together!

Fair winds,
Russ
Capt. Salty Russ
USCG 100T Ocean Master
Shellback
www.svbluemoon.com
Jeanneau 52.2

Happy New Year to you and your crew, Russ!
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

Happy New Year, Jade!
Stay warm until sailing season.
I love your avatar!
Capt. Salty Russ
USCG 100T Ocean Master
Shellback
www.svbluemoon.com
Jeanneau 52.2

Hi Russ,

Congratulations! I also tried to buy the site while it was on Flippa but was outbid. I was thinking of finding a way to integrate my pet peeve project PartMarine. But I am glad you did end up getting it, looks like the site will be in good hands!

I am also in San Francisco Bay, a live aboard in South City. I operate the AISHub San Francisco 2404, which also archives vessel locations. Looks like you do indeed get Blue Moon out of the Golden Gate a lot! (AIS Vessel Location History for Blue Moon).

Maybe we will run across each other some time in the Bay!

It doesn't sound like it from what you write but if you need support or hosting for the forum, I may be able to help (well we are in the Valley after all ;-) )

All the best to you and Blue Moon and good luck.

Ilker

Hi Ilker,
Great to hear from you. I have always wondered how the the AISHubs work, very cool. PartMarine looks like a great project.

Lets definitely talk re forum assistance.

We should find a time to go sailing together!

saltyruss
Capt. Salty Russ
USCG 100T Ocean Master
Shellback
www.svbluemoon.com
Jeanneau 52.2

Greetings!
I'm hoping that this board can supplement the existing MAC marine knowledge out in the world.

Personally, I'd like to run a pair of Mac Minis onboard. One for the nav station and another for a media server with redundancy for the nav. Right now I've got Raymarine equipment nav gear and Icom VHF/AIS. Icom SSB is on my shopping list.

So, will they all play nicely together?

Dave,

I have Raymarine E120 & E80 classics connected to my MacBook Pro using Ship Modul 3 USB. I connected the ShipModul using NMEA 0183 from the E120 which is located in the cockpit. Even though there is a Seatalk conversion included with the ShipModul multiplexer I gain more NMEA sentences using the NMEA 0183 output from the E120. I also have a ICOM M802 and Pactor III modem connected via USB. I use Sailmail for email and weather.
AIS: I have a Raymarine AIS650 connected to the E80 at the chart table using the E80's NMEA port at 38400 baud.

A great 2017!

from Copenhagen/Denmark.
refitting my mini transat 6.50 & adding DIY electronics to her.
MINIpad/raspberry/NKE

Gilles

Yes, to a great 2017!
are you in the transat 6.5?
Capt. Salty Russ
USCG 100T Ocean Master
Shellback
www.svbluemoon.com
Jeanneau 52.2

They should work via the NMEA 0183, or 2000. My AIS is a Raymarine and it communicates fine with the iCOM VHF and SSB, as well as the Raymarine MFD's, e125s. The iPAD communicates easily with the MFD's via their wireless access point capability - a bit kludgey from a wireless networking standpoint but once you get it going it works fine. However, I can't figure out how to use the Raymarine MFD's wireless access point capability to provide internet connectivity, only local network access....
The Rayamrine 'Remote' and 'Control' apps are easy to use.
Capt. Salty Russ
USCG 100T Ocean Master
Shellback
www.svbluemoon.com
Jeanneau 52.2

No i ain't racing ... bought the boat for fast cruising in the baltic sea,north sea & north atlantic.

bump
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

bump
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

bump
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

Bumo
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth