• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: B&G or Raymarine integration.
I will be replacing a windows box in an integrated system and will be switching to a Mac Mini. I would prefer to use MacENC/GPSNavX as the Nav Station plotter which will be a backup to a stand alone display at the helm. The helm units under review are the B&G Zues3 and the Raymarine Es units. The Mac Mini/MacENC unit becomes the route planning unit as well.

In the past I have had troubled using Raymarine GPS units and integrating their GPS signals in to the Mac ENC program.

Does that issue still exist with the newer Raymarine units? Any better integration with one unit or the other?

I will be installing another radar head to integrate with whichever helm plotter we decide on. Any better integration with MacENC with the Raymarine or the B&G.
Seller

Hello and welcome,

There are several options for integrating MacENC on the Mini using WiFi, ethernet, USB, or NMEA 2000® adaptors like the Actisense-NGT-1. (Avoid using the older serial RS422/232 adaptors since keeping their driver software updated is problematic.)

For example, I have a MacBook pro running MacENC hooked up to my Raymarine MFD (e7D) through a Shipmodul miniPlex multiplexor. The MFD is primarily using a SeaTalkng® network for my Raymarine instruments and autopilot but the radar and depth are cabled directly to the back of the MFD. The MFD can also handle the older NMEA 0183 which I use to the miniPlex*. The miniPlex is also connected to a Standard Horizon VHF as well as old Datamarine instruments for wind and speed.

* The newer miniPlex 3 units have NMEA 2000®, WiFi and/or USB connections.

So in short, it can be done.
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

Thanks for the response. Can I ask you what GPS signal you were using? For me the issue in the past has been not being able to use Raymarine GPS signals. Admittedly this is going back some years but if there still a problem with Raymarine I would prefer the B&G unit, but even there I don't know if there would be problems. On my laptop unit I use a usb GPS but this will be a permanent installation.
Seller

Sure, I have 2 GPS units. The primary is internal to the e7D and the backup is a Furuno GP32. The primary is fairly accurate and reliable even below deck. I can choose which one of the two that I want to use from the Lighthouse software settings in the e7D. MacENC reads the GPS position provided by the e7D. I would recommend that you connect your GPS to the MFD and not to the Mac Mini.

I guess you are aware that Raymarine has announced a new product line, Axiom!with a new software version of Lighthouse. I don't know if this new software will be retrofitted to the e series.

I'm sorry not to have more knowledge of the B&G units. I have heard good things about them.
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Google Earth integration GPSNavX 17 7,042 April 6, 2007 00:17
Last Post: GPSNavX
  GPSNavX and Mr. Tides integration GPSNavX 7 4,349 June 13, 2005 12:13
Last Post: GPSNavX