• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: MacENC & MarineTraffic.com
several friends & i have been using mAIS -- MarineTraffic's app to report position information even when there are are no receiving stations nearby -- to keep track of each other's whereabouts. granted, mAIS requires an Internet connection, but around the bays and islands of Door County that's not an issue.

since MacENC has all the required reporting information, I wrote an AppeScript that runs on the mac and replicates the capabilities of mAIS, thus eliminatImg the need for an iPad/iPhone/android with mAIS.

I'd be happy to share the script with anyone interested.

[color:red]a caveat[/color], this script (as well as mAIS) is not a substitute for AIS and cannot be considered a safety mechanism. it's just a way for folks to keep track of each other's location.

Yes please send a copy to macenc @ mac dot com

Thanks!
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

this zip file contains the applescript and the launchd plist. both need to be modified as described within the files.

rhumbliner Wrote:this zip file contains the applescript and the launchd plist. both need to be modified as described within the files.

Link not work. Please upload to any FTP or web place. Thanks!

Just a quick bump, the mobile AIS (mAIS) script has been updated and available for those who want to report their position via their Mac with a WIFI (or mobile hotspot) connection.

The zip file can be downloaded here: ftp.s4rec.com

username / password is required and is mais / zzyzxrd