• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Fusion vs Parallels
I've been running Parallels, but have been less than happy since upgrading to Leopard. Parallels seems to lock up frequently and several applications will not run. I assume these may be Leopard related issues they're working on, but right now it's irritating at the least. Does anyone have experience with Fusion? Any better/worse? I'd prefer not to have to run any Bill Gates stuff, but a few applications I don't have a choice.

Scot

Second to not using MS Windows at all, best bet is Boot Camp, keeping MS Windows as far away from OS X as possible. Luis over at GMN has had decent success with VMWare's Fusion. As I recall they released a new version specifically for 10.5

http://vmware.com/products/fusion/
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I agree, I use Windozs only for 2 apps I need for work, no email, no websurfing... I too have had good luck with Fusion...

GPSNavX Wrote:As I recall they released a new version specifically for 10.5

http://vmware.com/products/fusion/

It was an email flyer selling it for $59 that got my attention. Sounds promising and at that price worth a try.

I don't email/surf in the win environment, just sailmail when I'm out (yeah, ok that's sort of email...), the Chartworld tool, MS Streets & Maps when I'm landbound (for when I'm not online; haven't found a Mac equivalent that's any good), and I've been trying to get C-map Planner to work with their USB device, but so far no luck.

Thanks for the feedback.

Scot

Give RouteBuddy.com for OS X a try for street mapping.

And of course I recommend GMN XGate for OS X, but using Iridium Sat Phone instead of WWII HF technology. Seems crazy to develop an entire email client (Airmail) for a mode of communication. XGate works with any email client and any mode of comm (i.e. HF, Sat, Cell, Wifi, etc.)
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

GPSNavX Wrote:Give RouteBuddy.com for OS X a try for street mapping.

And of course I recommend GMN XGate for OS X, but using Iridium Sat Phone instead of WWII HF technology. Seems crazy to develop an entire email client (Airmail) for a mode of communication. XGate works with any email client and any mode of comm (i.e. HF, Sat, Cell, Wifi, etc.)

And of course as I've said before, sat phones are still over the budgets of most cruisers I know, plus both have holes in coverage offshore. As for XGate with HF, the station coverage in the Pacific is still inadequate, and Luis confirmed that to me (suggested it wouldn't work well for me) when I considered trying it last spring.

I looked at RouteBuddy briefly, but Streets & Trips only costs $39 and does everything I need, while RouteBuddy with NA maps is over $150. As long as I have to have a VM for Sailmail anyway its sort of a no brainer.

Scot

jagasail Wrote:I don't email/surf in the win environment, just sailmail when I'm out (yeah, ok that's sort of email...), the Chartworld tool, MS Streets & Maps when I'm landbound (for when I'm not online; haven't found a Mac equivalent that's any good)

How about Route Planner Pro from Route66.com?

It works under 10.5.

cyberhusky Wrote:How about Route Planner Pro from Route66.com?

It works under 10.5.

I tried it a few years ago and it was clearly inferior. Ended up dumping it in frustration. The last time I had looked it hadn't been upgraded. If there's a new version it might be worth looking at.

I have used both Route 66 and Route Buddy, and was disappointed with both. The search option in Route 66 never seemed to find what I was looking for. Route Buddy takes a long time to load, the maps (at least in the Boston area) are clearly inferior to those in the Delorme (MS) product, and when I ask it to make a route from A to B, it never picks a reasonable route (I try it on routes that I know). To force it to pick a particular route by excluding streets, it makes up ridiculous new routes.
For someone with a MacIntel system, I strongly recommend a Windoz program. No experience with the mapping software from MS, but I have used the DeLorme software for years. And I agree with Rich that BootCamp is better than Parallels for running PC programs. The boot time is often faster than coming up in Parallels, and now in Leopard you can see all your PC files in your Mac finder window. So only if you need to run a Mac and PC program at the very same time is it worth not rebooting in the other world.

I've been running Parallels on Leopard for the past couple of months. Originally I only used the 'Archive and Install' option for Leopard and did experience some problems with Parallels.
About a month ago after experiencing some problems overall with Leopard, I did a clean install.
It makes a LOT of difference with both Leopard in general and specifically with Parallels.
Touch wood, so far Parallels is running well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  usb-serial converter and parallels ms1990kl 0 11,761 December 20, 2010 19:42
Last Post: ms1990kl
  Fusion or Parallels for Windows larryr 3 7,519 September 3, 2010 19:00
Last Post: jonnyquest
  MaxSea and Parallels Drummer Buoy 9 13,408 February 16, 2009 11:03
Last Post: ebgb
  Parallels 4.0, BootCamp, serial ports CaptJohn 4 10,282 December 6, 2008 12:41
Last Post: Jim Innes