• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Pactor modem on Intel Macs
We are planning on getting one of the new intel macs, buy MacEnc, and get a new Pactor II modem (with III upgrades). Already have an Icom M802. I would appreciate any help and or advice re installing and or using the modem on the Ibook and linking it up to winlink/sailmail via bootcamp and running XP. I can't find anyone local with the expertise, so help, please. Thanks

Rick

I'm not on my boat so can't give too many details, but I have it set up and running very nicely on my MacBook. I recently even upgraded the modem to the bluetooth so I'm connecting to the modem wirelessly. Otherwise I would recomend the USB modem, but the serial with a Keyspan adapter should work fine.

Also, the Sailmail website has some help on using a Mac with Bootcamp:

http://www.sailmail.com/apple.htm

As I recall, it was really pretty simple and I think I was surprised when everything worked first try. Even having Sailmail control the radio frequencies.

Go for it, it's not as difficult as it seems, and well worth the effort.

Scot

I can confirm Pactor (Serial with Keyspan adapter) and SailMail runs just fine on a Macbook running MS Windows XP with BootCamp.

That being said my preference for email at sea remains XGate for OS X and Iridium sat phone.

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

While I appreciate that XGate and Iridium is probably a somewhat simpler and faster, possibly better solution, it is definitely a more expensive one. Unfortunately, as expensive as a new pactor modem is in Canada, it is still cheaper than one year of XGate and Iridium. Thanks for your help.

Rick

Scot:

I have heard that The bluetooth pactor sometimes loses its connection, with either the computer or transmitter (not sure which). Has this been an issue with yours and would you recommend it over the usb version. As I haven't purchased yet, it's all moot at this point. Nothing else I have at present is connected wirelessly, so I'm open to whichever is best.

Rick

Rick,
I haven't given it an extensive test yet as I've been gone for several months - I just got the modified modem up and running a few days before leaving the boat in December, and all seemed to work well then. However, I'm moving back onboard tomorrow and will try and give it a good test over the next few weeks in anticipation of some heavy use again this summer. I'll let you know how it goes.

Scot

Scot,

Do you still have the usb modem? We're just up island in Cobble Hill (30 min. outside of Victoria) and, if you have the old one for sale, would be interested. Thanks for the help in any case.

Rick

Rick,
No - they modified my USB modem to add BT to it - I didn't replace the modem. It's a fairly simple mod but the modem still had to be shipped to California.

Just got back on Jaga this afternoon after nearly 3 months and haven't had time to look at the SSB, but I'll try and power it up tomorrow and see how the BT is working with the modem. My first order of business was getting my new Engenius wifi bridge working, which is now running quite nicely.

Scot

Scot,

Which Engenius wifi product did you choose, and how much range do you think it will give you ?

Rick

Rick,
I got the 3220 Ext kit from Keenen Systems. I am mostly happy to have an external tranceiver as even when close by, signals are very weak down below on Jaga. I also hope I'll get reception with a mile or two (or more) so I can use it while anchored in Nanaimo and other places where I'll need greater range.

I'll have a better idea later this week when I go over to Friday Harbor. I'll be ecstatic if I can pick up BBXpress from both Friday and Fisherman Bay while siting anchored in the same spot, though that might be a bit of a stretch. I'll let you know how it goes.

Scot

can you tell me more about your setup?
I'm actually mostly concerned about downloading just gribs via my iridium phone. Is it possible to do this with just the irridium and my mac without subscribing to anything?

write now I've got my iridium phone, my macbook, a keyspan usb-serial adapter, and a 1300 mile passage coming up where I could use good weather data.

thanks,

Adam

If you want to use your Iridium as a modem with your Mac, a new driver is available to download on MailaSail website .

If you go straight from OS X Mac Mail to an Iridium you are going to eat up a ton of air time and if the send/receive fails you will have to start all over again. Controlling when OS X Mac Mail connects and dials the Iridium will be less efficient.

I cannot emphasize how important it is to use some compression software that can reduce airtime and connection problems.

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I just had a ICOM M802 and Pactor II pro installed. I run VMWare Fusion and I plan on using Sailmail combined with Airmail and WeatherFax software. Anyone have any experience with this setup?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pactor, Winmor, OSX, iPad CaptJohn 12 17,665 November 17, 2014 11:37
Last Post: Errantries
  Frustrated...No Mac Software for SSB/pactor Tambourine 14 9,902 June 26, 2010 15:25
Last Post: AugustH
  troubles with pactor modem & macbook rburkmar 2 4,199 July 7, 2009 14:17
Last Post: Jack Tyler
  Novatel S720 CDMA Modem, EVDO-RevA jimh 1 3,711 May 18, 2008 19:40
Last Post: gilsurf
  Sound emulation software vs modem rburkmar 3 4,001 February 5, 2008 17:31
Last Post: rburkmar