• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: troubles with pactor modem & macbook
Just installed a pactor III usb modem with bluetooth connected via either bluetooth (haven't been able to connect to any station via bluetooth) and or usb to our macbook (intel) running XP through bootcamp. We are using "airmail" connecting via "winlink" to hopefully be able to send and receive email, so far somewhat spasmodic.

I have been having a fair number of problems, but the main one is that the Macbook "loses" the connection between "airmail" and the modem while running XP. I have to do a total reboot re the XP and often (mostly) it will lose the connection again. Today it even lost the com 5 port and said it didn't have one. Managed to get that back, but once again "lost" the connection. I have installed "chokes" on the ends of the usb cables connecting the computer to the modem which enabled me to connect to a station accepting email.

A side issue is that I have only been able to connect to Ks1Xa to down load email, a reputably, very reliable connection, anybody else; not so much, as in never!

Getting very frustrated, as we're leaving soon to go down the west coast to Mexico and we really like to rely on out setup, but not so far.

Does anyone have similar experiences and thus some answers? I'm sure I have my settings correct, but am getting somewhat lost in the arcane world of XP!!!!

Really appreciate any help

Richard

I know this may sound silly but try to change the usb cable. It sounds dumb but once in a while you win one. I had a similar problem and after weeks of tearing out what hair i have left it was a bad cable.

Also, in the salt environment those contacts get sometime get gunked up, Especially after any period of storage in a humid climate. I had that problem also.
Beware though if you start spraying that contact cleaner around---contact cleaner does not like plastic. It eats it! It will disolve fittings and even your radio. Use some on a Q tip. And et it dry before you re connect.

I have used Airmail for years under native Boot Camp XP and it works fine. I do NOT have the USB Modem so that could be a factor but I doubt it.

When there is trouble I ALWAYS blame it on XP.
Good Luck.
Ed

Ed, in the hopes you pick this up...I'd like to know which cable you are using between your PTC modem and your Mac. I've had the same unreliable experience with my (new) MB Pro that is mentioned above, and I'm concluding that is the serial/USB cable. Would love to know what a 'good one' might be...as otherwise, no success with several MB Pro's and the current cable assortment.

Thanks!

Jack

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pactor, Winmor, OSX, iPad CaptJohn 12 17,666 November 17, 2014 11:37
Last Post: Errantries
  Frustrated...No Mac Software for SSB/pactor Tambourine 14 9,903 June 26, 2010 15:25
Last Post: AugustH
  Pactor modem on Intel Macs rburkmar 13 10,234 December 19, 2009 09:47
Last Post: Jim Innes
  Novatel S720 CDMA Modem, EVDO-RevA jimh 1 3,711 May 18, 2008 19:40
Last Post: gilsurf
  Sound emulation software vs modem rburkmar 3 4,001 February 5, 2008 17:31
Last Post: rburkmar