• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Vector charts for UK
Hi all,

Where/what vector charts for UK waters are there - also where can these be obtained?

www.chartworld.com

"Official and Navionics" ENCs work great with MacENC.

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Ah - OK - when you say 'Official'... what do you mean?

Thanks

"Official" are those produced by each countries government Hydrology Organization. For example in the US it is NOAA, in the UK it is UKHO.

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I use the Navionics S57 charts from Chartworld on-board High Spirit. They're apparently sourced from the UKHO data and are regularly updated.

In fact, if you purchase them, Chartworld provide a year's updated.
Never knowingly overcanvassed!

Do Imray charts from the UK work too? I'm new to GPS (but have been faithful to Mac since 1985!).

No. As far as I'm aware the Imray charts are raster charts and are only compatible with Imray's Windows-based software.
Never knowingly overcanvassed!

Hi Jon

Took a look at ChratWorld website - baffled - what is the 'INSTALLATION' certificate creation all about - I have no idea and without it I cannot purchase an ENC etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks

You use the User Permit displayed in the MacENC Chart Manager to create an account at www.chartworld.com

It is the key that links to the charts to your Mac.

We have a ChartWorld chart installation guide here..

http://www.gpsnavx.com/pdf/ChartWorld.pdf
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Hi Jon

Thanks

I have Navionics Gold for my raymarine, navionics gold for my iPhone, do I have to buy even more charts to run on my macbook if I buy MacEnc?

ok i've finally worked it out, in order to plot my way from uk to the med on my mac, i have to buy macenc for £150 then 2 folios of charts from navionics for £1200 each. total cost nearly 3K. i may as well get my yacht hauled overland. what a joke.
surely someone know how to hack navionics gold chart cartridges so waypoints, routes etc can be plotted on the mac then put back into crappy old raymarine.
i've just paid £70 for navionics zones 2 and 3 for the iPhone and these won't work with iNav now. this whole thing is becoming a joke.

yup!

great isn't it (NOT!)

not MacENC's fault, its the UKHO/government stitch up, pay for something you've already paid for as a taxpayer every time you want to use it for something different

or....
get this
i could buy raymarines plotter (£375) and navionics card reader then i need only ever buy one type of chart and since i already have uk i would only need it for med.
i then need to buy parallells, so defeating the object of ever switching to Mac in the first place, and just put up with the stress and anxiety of XP crashes and freezing all over again. why did navX even go to all the trouble of writing the software if no-one can afford to use it. oh yeah, forgot us gives the charts for free...damn

Correct both raster and vector charts are FREE in the United States. A few other countries offer free charts. We would like to support Navionics cartridges in MacENC, but we are waiting for an OS X driver for their [special] card reader. Of course keep in mind you can only use the cartridge in one device at a time so if it was in use with MacENC then your dedicated chart plotter would have no charts. Our goal has never been to make some one buy the same chart multiple times, but most chart producers believe they should be paid for every instance of use and their End User License Agreements tend to bear that out.

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

are u seriously waiting for a driver for the card reader, will it really happen? if so i am buying a reader now, and will buy macenc as soon as u have it. the cartridges are so much cheaper than the s57 charts so no prob doubling up on that score. anyway the point is to plot the routes at home then upload to the plotter on the boat.
any idea when this will happen.

ICON Wrote:ok i've finally worked it out, in order to plot my way from uk to the med on my mac, i have to buy macenc for £150 then 2 folios of charts from navionics for £1200 each. total cost nearly 3K. i may as well get my yacht hauled overland. what a joke.
surely someone know how to hack navionics gold chart cartridges so waypoints, routes etc can be plotted on the mac then put back into crappy old raymarine.
i've just paid £70 for navionics zones 2 and 3 for the iPhone and these won't work with iNav now. this whole thing is becoming a joke.

Where did you get this £1200 figure from???

Andy

ICON Wrote:I have Navionics Gold for my raymarine, navionics gold for my iPhone, do I have to buy even more charts to run on my macbook if I buy MacEnc?

ICON Wrote:ok i've finally worked it out, in order to plot my way from uk to the med on my mac, i have to buy macenc for £150 then 2 folios of charts from navionics for £1200 each. total cost nearly 3K. i may as well get my yacht hauled overland. what a joke.
ICON Wrote:or....
get this
i could buy raymarines plotter (£375) and navionics card reader then i need only ever buy one type of chart and since i already have uk i would only need it for med.
i then need to buy parallells, so defeating the object of ever switching to Mac in the first place, and just put up with the stress and anxiety of XP crashes and freezing all over again. why did navX even go to all the trouble of writing the software if no-one can afford to use it. oh yeah, forgot us gives the charts for free...damn
ICON Wrote:are u seriously waiting for a driver for the card reader, will it really happen? if so i am buying a reader now, and will buy macenc as soon as u have it. the cartridges are so much cheaper than the s57 charts so no prob doubling up on that score. anyway the point is to plot the routes at home then upload to the plotter on the boat.
any idea when this will happen.

hmmmmm....Troll?
ICON, you realize of course that the developers of the SW you refer to are contributors to this board..."hacking" SW is very much frowned upon....

Well what then?
I bought MacEnc a year ago as I thought it would be working with some charts for european waters. I had to find out, that basically yes, there are charts if you are willing to spend north of 1,000 $ per holiday (at least if you choose to move your boat from time to time). Great!!!
This is all bullshit. You guys at MacEnc have develloped a great SW for the US. It would be very kind of you to warn us on the other side of the Ocean not to spend > 170 $ for MacENC as long as it useless here. I didn't like to trash that money.
Regards
Alexander
[color:blue]Safe Sailing,
Joe Donnaway

Joe Donnaway
s/v JAMU

If one doesn't want the expense of the ChartWorld vector charts, Maptech offers very reasonably price raster charts ..

http://www.maptechnavigation.com/water/d...infopg=buy

Also very soon we will be expanding the chart selection for MacENC and GPSNavX via X-Traverse ..

http://www.inavx.net/xtraverse.html

The goal is to offer a one stop shop for charts for GPSNavX, MacENC and iNavX.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Will BSB4 Charts work? To my understanding only the old BSB3 format works. Hopefully I'm wrong. If you can confirm, I will revoke my former statement, but you should then point out on your site, that BSB4 works.
Joe Donnaway

Joe Donnaway
s/v JAMU

Hello John

Yes BSB4 and BSB5 Charts will work. But first you have to register them.

Please read these instructions:
http://www.gpsnavx.com/pdf/Register.pdf

and download the registration application.
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

Meanwhile I learned that Mapchart BSB Charts (for Europe) are based on charts from 2004 to 2006 with few charts from 2007.
That does not improve the confidence in such charts.
Joe Donnaway

Joe Donnaway
s/v JAMU

Here is the MacENC compatibility page:

http://www.gpsnavx.com/MacENC/index.php?...patibility
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

As noted by others yes BSB 1 - 5 charts work with MacENC ..

http://www.gpsnavx.com/MacENC/help/openingraster.htm
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vector charts Curran3 1 2,582 June 28, 2008 17:41
Last Post: GPSNavX
  MacENC in action - UK vector charts and AIS! ReeferJon 37 15,341 October 20, 2006 02:18
Last Post: Frenz
  vector chart? tib51 1 2,133 June 14, 2006 09:19
Last Post: GPSNavX
  GPSNavX & S-57 vector marine charts GPSNavX 1 3,158 April 29, 2005 00:06
Last Post: cyberhusky