• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Which system to purchase?
Eric Frank Wrote:I also have the SH CP300 chartplotter and would like to add the Sitex radar. But doesn't that require a compass input? What do you use for that? Can the Raymarine fluxgate compass used in their autopilot be used as a source of the NMEA sentences that give compass direction?

Eric

Eric,
I suppose that would work but why would this require a compass input? I've had radar/chart plotters before and I've never ran into one that required a compass input. I don't have any sort of electronic compass on my boat and don't plan on getting one.
Scot

Scot,

I think the heading is required to overlay the radar image on the chart for those chartplotters that support this feature.
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

Jade Wrote:Scot,

I think the heading is required to overlay the radar image on the chart for those chartplotters that support this feature.

That's right, at least according to the manual that comes with the Standard Horizon chartplotter. Haven't tried it yet.

Yeah, I saw that in the manual after making my post, although that one brief comment is the only reference to it in any of the documentation. I can understand if you're still, but if you're moving the gps can calculate it as well. I'm still trying to figure how some of the other radar/plotters get away without compass input. That being said I never found the overlay screen that helpful.

Scot

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what happens when I purchase GPSNAVX? carboncow 2 2,513 April 9, 2010 16:07
Last Post: carboncow