• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: iNavX 2.0.0 now available
iNavX 2.0.0 adds more charts via the "Add More Charts To Menu" selection. NOAA RNC raster charts are included, and additional charts can be purchased from Fugawi X-Traverse:

https://www.x-traverse.com/signup

More charts from Navionics and other producers will be coming online in the next few weeks. So if you don't see the coverage you need yet be patient as we will soon have complete world wide coverage.

iNavX
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I see that version 2.0 will use Navonic charts, but I have to purchase them first, not cheap when you consider the NOAA charts are free. But assuming I do purchase then can I use them in both iNavx and the Navonics viewer? What are the differences in the software apps?
Thanks
Baz

You would have to contact Navionics directly to see if they plan to support Fugawi X-Traverse with their basic embedded chart viewer.

The noteworthy features with iNavX are:

- GRIB downloading & viewing
- Waypoints, Tracks, GPX & KML import/export
- TCP/IP NMEA (i.e. a remote for MacENC)
- NOAA RNC raster chart support
- Charts are the latest versions as they are downloaded as opposed to embedded
- One app for all coverage
- Frequent app updates

I wish the rest of the world was handled like NOAA with free charts, but the majority of the governments want a royalty.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

If we already have Navionics charts installed on our iphone is there a way to get iNavX2 to recognize them, or do we have to purchase the charts again?

Collin
Life is a journey, not a guided tour.

iNavX by GPSNavX is compatible with the NOAA charts (no additional charge) and the Navionics, TRAK, and Solteknik charts/map available from Fugawi X-Traverse. Questions about the Navionics viewer app should be sent directly to Navionics (mobile@navionics.com).

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

No, unfortunately, the Navionics Viewer charts are not compatible with X-Traverse or iNavX.

Fugawi Software Wrote:No, unfortunately, the Navionics Viewer charts are not compatible with X-Traverse or iNavX.

NOAA gives away the charts for free, most other governments do ask a royalty, but Navionics asks twice the money for the same charts if I understand this right?

I have bought the Navionics Viewer with UK Netherlands charts.

Now with iNavX I have to buy them again?

I know there is a world crisis out there, but asking 2 times for the same data is not understandable!

FYI I emailed Navionics Mobile this afternoon to ask if the Navionics S.p.A. Gold USA East charts I purchase on the iTunes App store were compatible with the new release of iNavX2. I received this prompt response: "I will confirm this and get back to you as quickly as possible." I will let you know what I learn.

Collin

Navionics explains their predicament:

Thanks for your patience in awaiting a response to your inquire.

You are correct, the Navionics Apps you purchased from iTunes cannot be used with your iNavX. Navionics Gold Charts for the Americas and HotMaps® Premium lake maps for the US for use with iNavX™ marine software are available immediately by way of X-Traverse; international marine charts will be available in the coming weeks. Navionics Mobile Charts currently available on the Apple® iTunes® Store are not compatible with iNavX.

This is not intentional by Navionics, but dictated as such by Apple, requiring that application software and all its componenents be housed in one download, not available as separate units. Navionics Mobile Charts available on iTunes are embedded with Navionics Viewer (Navionics own software application). The Navionics Mobile Charts available for your iNavX are just the charts, for use with your iNavX application software.

Should you need more information or further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us again, we remain at your disposal.

If you have any suggestions to enhance our applications, we'd love to hear from you.

Best regards,

Navionics Mobile Team

collin.harty Wrote:Navionics explains their predicament:

Thanks for your patience in awaiting a response to your inquire.

You are correct, the Navionics Apps you purchased from iTunes cannot be used with your iNavX. Navionics Gold Charts for the Americas and HotMaps® Premium lake maps for the US for use with iNavX™ marine software are available immediately by way of X-Traverse; international marine charts will be available in the coming weeks. Navionics Mobile Charts currently available on the Apple® iTunes® Store are not compatible with iNavX.

This is not intentional by Navionics, but dictated as such by Apple, requiring that application software and all its componenents be housed in one download, not available as separate units. Navionics Mobile Charts available on iTunes are embedded with Navionics Viewer (Navionics own software application). The Navionics Mobile Charts available for your iNavX are just the charts, for use with your iNavX application software.

Should you need more information or further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us again, we remain at your disposal.

If you have any suggestions to enhance our applications, we'd love to hear from you.

Best regards,

Navionics Mobile Team

But version 3 of iPhone's OS should remedy this problem as one can buy the app and further download/buy different levels for games, books for ebooks, charts for nav apps etc.

I did I misunderstood that?

Regards,

Manou

There is an FAQ which details some of the issues discussed in this thread. It is here: http://www.fugawi.com/web/x-traverse/navionics_faq.htm

Fugawi Software Wrote:There is an FAQ which details some of the issues discussed in this thread. It is here: http://www.fugawi.com/web/x-traverse/navionics_faq.htm
Thanks for this. That FAQ answers all the questions I was going to ask re charts for Australia. Very comprehensive and clear.

The Navionics Charts look like a good deal if you are not in the USA where the NOAA charts are free and totally up to date. The other problem with Navionics is that Apple are highly likely to improve the iphone later this year. (The current battery life when using GPS is rubbish.) You will not be able to transfer any purchased charts to another iphone, any iphone, so if your current iphone should break for any reason, you are up the creek without your paddle! But they do look nice.....
Baz