• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Navionics & Mac
Hello,

I am extremely new to charts and marine electronics. I have searched this site and the internet and contacted Navionics and have yet to find an answer. I'm hoping someone here can lead me in the right direction.

Last week I purchased my first chartplotter (lowrance HDS) and a Navionics Hotmaps Premium card to go with it. I own nothing but Mac computers and was wondering how to print the maps off the card I bought. I read the warning and am not putting the card in a card reader. I don't want to make a back-up, just want to print a few maps so I can pre-plan my fishing trips!!!

how do I do it?

Thanks so much for any advice or tips!!

I am also trying to find how to use my MacBook Pro on the boat, linked to Raymarine GPS/Sonar/Autopilot and the rest.
I have been to find clear answers online so far.
Paolo

Surprised you haven't had a response yet. I can't speak directly on your Navionics charts but I'm assuming the setup is similar to Cmap, where you need a special card reader to use them on a PC. Unfortunately there are not Mac drivers for these external card readers so the only way to use them is by running windows on the Mac, either with Bootcamp, Fusion, or Parallels.

As for using your Mac with the Raymarine stuff, an easy way is through a Shipmodule multiplexor, which can read the Raymarine seatalk and convert it to NMEA. The multiplexor connects to your Mac either via Bluetooth, USB, or Serial depending on the model. I have the Bluetooth version on my boat with Raymarine instruments and it works quite well. If you use Serial be sure to use a Keystone serial/usb device as most others seem to have problems on the Mac.

Good luck!
Scot

Sadly my mac is the old power mac variety so I don't have bootcamp or other's like you mentioned... but I am persistent!!!! I decided I'd try downloading the Navionics made for iPhone version for $4.99 because well iPhone and mac are both apple.. but no luck... however from that iPhone version I was EASILY able to extract the .nv2 files. I just need to figure out how to open them!!! i tried MacENC and GPSnavX demo versions... if they supported it I'll VERY HAPPILY buy the software as I am already very impressed with the programs... does anyone know how I can open a .nv2 file on a mac? I will HAPPILY pay for the software!!!

I'm not familiar with the navionics version for the iphone, but the charts for iNavX clearly say they are for use on the iphone only. I suspect, but haven't confirmed, that you can't use the file on both your iphone and MacENC. Navionics has likely put some form of digital rights management (DRM) on the files to lock them to your iphone. Then again....maybe not!

Hi - I have the same problem - I've spent a small fortune on Raymarine product, Series E chartplotter, radar, instruments, autopilot, etc. So, I am a Mac user, and am running Parallells on my Powerbook, and have not been able to get Raytech RNS 6.1 to recognize the Navionics multicard reader to see my Platinum chip, though my Mac knows the device is connected. I cannot get the Instruments/chartplotter to interface with my computer. Raymarine won't even speak with me since they don't support Mac's - ARGGGHHH - Can anyone help me??

MacENC 7.00 now supports Navionics Gold charts and HotMaps from X-Traverse.

We do plan to support the Navionics card reader, but I can't give a date on when that will occur because its up to Navionics to provide a special Mac OS X driver to support it.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

The Navionics charts provided on Plug-and-Play chips (Navionics SD or CF card) will not work with MacENC 7 because the Navionics Multicard reader is not supported for use with Mac at this time.

Many customers report success using the Navionics Plug-and-Play chips with WinXP on the Mac under Parallels/WMWare, etc. and a PC program such as Fugawi Marine ENC. www.fugawi.com/marine

However, Mac users can now navigate with Navionics charts using MacENC 7 and a Navionics chart for MacENC purchased via download from X-Traverse. See http://x-traverse.com/our-pricing

The Navionics charts for use with iPhone are not supported by MacENC - you must purchase the charts for use with MacENC. Charts for use with MacENC are priced the same as plug-and-play charts because Navionics licensing distinguishes between using the charts for "mobile" devices and for "chart plotters". PC software and Mac software is considered a "Chart Plotter" by Navionics.

X-Traverse is pleased to be able to bring the award winning Navionics Gold and HotMaps® cartography to the Mac community through a collaboration with MacENC.

Navionics card reader will be a great feature in the future but in the meanwhile I am still searching for charts for the Netherlands lakes en coastal waters for MacENC.

X-Traverse are planning to sell the charts for the Netherlands lakes en coastal waters.
The 46XG is not a good option for me becouse I am only sailing on the Netherlands lakes en coastal waters.

Best regards,

Johan

Mûzefalk

do you want vector charts or raster?

try http://www.risserver.nl/ for ENC's

I can point you in the right direction for rasters if you need them

Mark thanks for your response and advise.

I prefer a vector charts and I found a webshop where I can order the charts for the Netherlands lakes en coastal water.

But I think I am going to wait for the Navionics cardreader support. With the Navionics cardreader support I only need to update the charts once a season.

Best regards,

Johan

Mûzefalk

Did s.o. find out a way to extract the charts from a Navionics APP?
I think this shouldn't represent a legal problem since they are purchased.

No, I have chosen to buy and use GPSNavX. I have bought the maps of the area where I sail the most with my sailingboat.(NV. Netherlands 2 NV Northeast Coast - in 2010 ed, Netherlands yachting charts of the 1800 charts)

I still hope that GPSNavX or MacENC will support the Navionics cardreader, because I am only using GPSNavX for trip planning and to view grib files and I am still missing some maps.

Best regards,

Johan

Mûzefalk

Well, I opened the App, unstuffed it. Boxcontent showed some ".nv2" vector chart documents, but from than on it seems obvious, they are not be opened unless via the App itself. Navionics homepage explains that charts for iPad must not and cannot be used on other platforms, they are a little different. With iPhone it seems similar. You want to see them on a larger screen, buy a larger screen, or get a licence for the laptop version. Fair enough.

I never bought maps for the Mac, because I'm also confused and sail with paper and the iPhone as my little toy.

A most helpful comment, thank you. Try some Brain Training software as well.

Is there anything new on Navionics drivers for the Mac?

I have been told even if I use Boot camp and windows XP,
I still will not be able to use the Navionics reader on my Mac. does any one know about this?

hello

is there any news about the Navionics SD card reader driver for OSX?

Regards

Manou

I agree with your thought.Thank you for your sharing.

bump!
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth