• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: MAC and Radarconnection
Hi, somebody now if its possible to connect a Radar direct to a Mac? Or to translate the Ehternetprotocol from the Radar to a Monitordisplay.
I'am searching a solution for the new Broadband Radar technology.

Sometime whe have to achieve the impossible, so we get the best.

Oliver

I looked at doing this a while ago with the Koden ethernet radars. It would be relatively straightforward to do..
Never got around to it in the end.
Never knowingly overcanvassed!

Would love to find out more about this. The new navico broadband radar seems to be a great thing, however, I am not excited about getting sucked into a Navico brand (Lowrance/Simrad/etc) multi function display. It would be far nicer to interface the unit with an existing PC based chart plotter. The only manufacturer that I know for sure has made their communication protocols known for interfacing by a SW developer is KODEN and the software developer is Rose Point. The owner of Rose Point is an ex-microsoft guy and his product for for windows. I have been running it with Parallels-XP on my macbook with no problems. (w/o radar module)
There are some other SW packages that interface with some radomes but it is unclear who is making the radomes and what the HW & SW protocols are.

More info would be great!!

The new Broadband Radar is very Promisingly and i have no intrest to buy a display from simrad/Navico or Furuno just for the Radar. MacENC is fantastic. So i search for a solution to implement a broadband Radar Display on a Mac. Tips are welcome. Tahnk you

You might look at the article on the Panbo Blog:

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2009/12/fr....html#more

Dear GPSNavX/MacENC folks,

Have you contacted Navico about possibly adding this functionality?

It really would be amazing..

thanks!

It would be, but if you read the comments on the Panbo site you will see its no where near ready for prime time. I am sure in time as the technology is properly refined it will find its way into MacENC.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA