• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Mac Mini sans inverter
Hi there.

I am looking for a possibility to install an apple computer on a sailing yacht for some blue water cruising.

My first intention was a mac mini as it has been used a lot as onboard computers in cars. But after some research I noticed that nearly all setups worked with an inverter.

This solution is not really satisfying on a boat. First converting the voltage from 12 volt to 110/220V and then back to the 19V a mac mini needs is very inefficient.

Does any one of you have experience with direct conversion from 12V to 19V? Any thoughts on the topic? Recommended setups/hardware?

Thanks in adnavced!

Regards,

Patrick

http://store.mp3car.com/Carnetix_CNX_P21...wr-026.htm

On a related subject, Apple's Mac mini tops chart of 'green' computers

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/11/27/apples-ma...computers/
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Also, the SW to set up and control the Carnetix PSU is here:

http://www.ocs.cz/apps/PSUmoni.1.4b.zip

actually the mikegyver adapter works really well and doesn't get hot.

google this:
Mikegyver 120w or 90w DC Car, Boat, RV adapter for MacMini

Yep, the MikeGyver stuff works well. I use one for my MacBook on the boat but I find that it DOES get hot. It also draws a lot of power. The Carnetix converter is more efficient and a more permanent solution. It also provides a secondary 12 volt rail for peripherals and if needed, you can add a 3rd piggyback 5 volt supply for USB devices.

If the OP just needs a quick and economical way to get a MacMini up and running, the MikeGyver device is the way to go. If he wants a more robust solution with some options and doesn't mind spending around $75 more, I'd recommend the Carnetix device.

I use one for my MacBook on the boat but I find that it DOES get hot. It also draws a lot of power.
-----
I used one on a Mini in the Philippines where the ambient temp was 34 degrees (93F). I previously had used 12v converter for a PowerBook that got so hot it scared me.

The MikeGyver Mini-box was not hot to the touch the first few times i checked. After that I didn't bother to check. That's my experience.

I run my monitor directly off 12v by cutting the wire and attaching a cigar lighter plug. If you look around you can find LED displays that are 12v.

outstripp: Where did you end up finding 12v based displays? there doesn't seem to be many around these days.

Cheers

You can find 12V touchscreen on ebay. I do have a 8" connected to my Macbook running MacENC.
Though the touchscreen isn't waterprove but it works great.

There are 10" touchscreens too running with 12V, they do even have TV Tuners, or and DVD player.

I was looking for something to use at the inside nav station. 20-22", LED backlit, 12v.... Haven't found anything yet.

Sorry, it was a 12v LCD not LED. Maybe NEC brand but i can't remember.

I also got a little Century LCD-8000U which runs off a USB plug. It's small, but sufficient and convenient when i don't want fart around with the big monitor which isn't mounted in a very good location. ... I've even been thinking about using the mini as a travel computer withe century display and the little aluminum keyboard and wireless mouse, instead of a heavy powerbook. Crazy maybe.

This says all the NEC displays are12v

http://www.nec-lcd.com/common/pdf/en/lcdnews_e.pdf

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cutting and splicing a mac mini power cord fish2live 7 9,403 May 16, 2010 00:02
Last Post: bstamerjon
  A mini, MacENC and Furuno ginginsman 0 3,135 October 2, 2009 12:25
Last Post: ginginsman
  Mac Mini Power Consumption jagasail 4 6,934 July 26, 2009 14:55
Last Post: Eric Frank
  Mac Mini installation aboard michelb 2 2,717 November 18, 2007 11:01
Last Post: GPSNavX
  Mac Mini EOL GPSNavX 0 1,921 May 24, 2007 12:46
Last Post: GPSNavX