• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: A newbie who is horribly confused
I wonder if someone can help? I purchased MacENC for my laptop. I also just ordered Fugawi vector charts (S-57) of West Coast Canada for MacENC.

Can these vector charts be used on iNavX or another iphone app?

My goal is to have an iPhone chart app for use in my tender, hopefully one with chaprts that I can also use with MacENC on my boat so as to avoid purchasing two sets of charts.

What is the best solution to accomplish this goal?

So much to learn! Thanks very much for any assistance you might provide!!

}Sad Hi Don,

I think you will need the Raster versions for iNavX on your iPhone.

MacENC can use both vector (S-57) and Raster charts. The Vectors are faster but the Rasters may show more detail.

If you have not taken delivery of the vector charts, I would suggest that you try to cancel your order (simply because they are so expensive }Sad ).

Next, I recommend that you sign up for an x-traverse.com account. It is only $10 US for a year's subscription. Buy your raster charts (CHS RM-PAC01 and CHS RM-PAC02) using your x-traverse account on the internet. CHS license terms allow you to use these charts on 2 devices so I think you can download once to your Mac and once to your iPhone.
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

Thanks, very much Jade! I have downloaded iNavX and the Raster charts (US) for the Pacific Northwest. Now to set up the xTraverse account and obtain the charts from Canada.

Amazing! This will be helpful in my tender. So much easier than carrying charts with me when I am out fishing.

Thanks so much for all the help. I really appreciate it!

Cheers,

Don

Glad to help.

It might be worth double checking with Fugawi (who operate x-traverse) first to make sure that what I suggested is what you need.
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

The Fugawi/iTraverse order site is the easiest to understand of all that I have seen. It asks you which system you run (windows/ iPhone/OS 10/ etc) and then it tells you which charts and vendors are appropriate. They even guarantee that they will not sell you the wrong charts. Very nice. (They do permit 2 downloads, as you indicated, so I should be all set.)

Thanks again, Jade!!