• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: iPad ?
So what are the chances we can look forward to an iPad in a waterproof case (with an external power supply) for the cockpit talking to a Mac Mini down below via WiFi (bluetooth) running MacEnc?
Seller

100%. You can do exactly the same thing now with iNavX on iPhone..

http://www.gpsnavx.com/iNavX/help/macenc.htm
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

What if I wanted to do just have the iPAD on the boat with no mac mini but wanted to interface with existing sailing instruments? Basically get the functionality of MacENC on the iPAD. This would be a change to the NAVX iPhone application, would it not?

I would consider a perminent installation of an iPAD at nav station if it provided all that I have with MacENC (interface with existing transducers and displays) without the need for seperate computer. This alone would have benefits to me.

Hi all,
Wonder if Fugawi will go with the flow and allow those of us who have already bought iNavx charts for iPhone/iTouch to have a second copy for the iFad (sorry! Smile ) Or at least to have a second go at a reasonable price? Maybe Navionics too? I
would have thought it would have been slick to have a dock for an iPhone/touch incorporated into this tablet.Note the 3G higher spec only does data and so is not a phone.
Hopefully marine users will be on a winner here at last as the screen resolution and size should rival most plotters.

thinks:

The Morris Oxford post-ww11 was a large Morris Minor.The Minor did most of the things the Oxford did in a smaller package.It did not sell well because of the difficulties in perception of value by customers.

The next re-modelled Morris Oxford is still being being manufactured as the"Hindustan Ambassador" in India.
No doubt iPad will prosper if the apps feel like better value on the "big screen"
If there are too many limitations as to IP functionality and bluetooth restrictions, perhaps it will be hard to replace a macbook, which could be just the point!
Good sailing to all!

The ipad can run iphone apps so iNavX should work out of the box, but to use the full screen, the app would get stretched. This is not a big problem for some apps, for navigation details I would be cautious.

Will there be a ipad version of iNavX? With the release of the ipad sdk, I would guess that this should be no problem for the app, but I am not sure about the maps.

I run a GSPNavX on a small laptop, but I would like to upgrade to MacENC and get an ipad running iNavX_for_the_ipad. Are you planning on making the ipad app?

As mentioned several times, iNavX will be upgraded to support the new functionality of the iPad including the larger screen. There will only be one iNavX and it will run well on iPhone, iPod and iPad. Existing customers of iNavX will not need to repurchase it again for iPad. Simply sync your device.

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

GPSNavX Wrote:There will only be one iNavX and it will run well on iPhone, iPod and iPad. Existing customers of iNavX will not need to repurchase it again for iPad. Simply sync your device.
Nice touch. It'll be greatly appreciated and a nice reward for being an early adopter.

This should be the case for all apps...

http://www.apple.com/ipad/app-store/

The way to look at iPad is a more powerful iPod Touch. Not a whole new platform. This is how Apple is treating iPad and apps.

So iNavX on iPad will look and feel like iNavX on iPhone, but have additional features because of the additional speed and screen real-estate.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Since the i-Pad is a " tweener" product, any shot at backwards compatibility with MacENC? I am planning to dump my MacBook and go to a Windows 7 unit, especially after seeing the variety of netbook/tablet devices at CES. Perhaps I might be dissuaded and go to the Pad, as MacENC is the only serious app I use with any regularity on the MacBook beyond internet access and Picasa. I literally have dreams of smashing my MacBook into tiny little pieces or creating a mini artificial reef with it.

Windows 7 on a netbook, now there's the ticket. No one should ever, ever try to dissuade you, George. You go boy!

rsf
Lake Erie, Ohio
www.carboncow.net

I don't have any delusions that W 7 will be better, it will just suck in a different fashion than my Intel MacBook sucks. I am tired of cursing at and hating my Macs, I just want to curse at and hate something different for awhile. I would miss MacENC and its imperfections, thus the comment above. I think the company provides about the best customer service there is, not to mention the free upgrades. Really, they are the only reason I would stay with the Mac platform.

The new, appropriately (big emphasis) configured "netbooks" (I suppose there are some definitional issues there perhaps driving your snide remark). W7 combos work just fine, we have been testing a few. Opn Capn to boot. I know many many cruisers very happy with their Windows/OpnCapn combos, or the wealthier with their Cap'n or Coastal Explorer packages. Hate to burst your bubble, but have another sip of apple flavored Kool-Aid and you'll be OK.

Like I said I haven't jumped yet; will wait and see how the Pad works out. One disappointment is lack of USB support; I use one USB aircard for internet access for the I-Mac and Book (using a 3G router on the boat), just take with me when I am on the road. Having to pay extra for 3G and GPS functionality (hardware and subscription) is unnecessary and not good and uncompetitive.

GPSNavX Wrote:This should be the case for all apps!

The way to look at iPad is a more powerful iPod Touch. Not a whole new platform. This is how Apple is treating iPad and apps.

So iNavX on iPad will look and feel like iNavX on iPhone, but have additional features because of the additional speed and screen real-estate.

Not quite a "big" iPod Touch. The iPad has MUCH more screen real estate than anything else Apple makes in this area, and that has a hugh impact on what developers can do with it. I've been thinking about how to adopt AyeTides to it, and I can do so much more that I'm thinking about a totally new version instead of simply putting iPad-specific views in the current app. I don't want to clutter up the app with views and code that would never be used.

There's an interesting take on this at http://www.tuaw.com/2010/02/01/ipad-devs...-patterns/

George Wrote:Hate to burst your bubble, but have another sip of apple flavored Kool-Aid and you'll be OK.

No need to be insulting, George. If you hate your mac so much, dump it and go with something else. But nothing in the previous post warrants such a comment as this.

So existing AyeTide customers would have to buy AyeTides again for iPad? iNavX will be a free update for all users including those with iPad.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

It's either that or ship a version that's 2-3 times bigger (new nibs, new code to handle the iPad, new resources, etc.) but offers nothing new for the iPhone users except wasted disk space, which is already tight on these small devices. So it comes down to which devil you want to pay - a bloated app that does nothing special for one set of users, or a new app that people will have to pay for. Hmm, no good options in sight.

I realised the iPad would be a success as soon as my 92 yo mother told me about them ... I think it is a pretty sure bet any USB device can be connected to them, via the 30 pin port, as long as there is an app or driver to run them ... The uses they could be put to on a boat are only limited by the thought of what will happen the first time a 'growler' lands on one while it lays peacefully in the cockpit ...
Kim
Tim

I don't think the intent is to make bloatware on iPad. iPad still has limited memory and limited CPU power. I don't necessarily see iNavX for iPad a huge functionality difference from iNavX on iPhone/iPod. I do see a larger chart view and access to nested views (i.e. routes, tides, etc.) from the Chart view. iNavX is not going to morph into MacENC on an iPad. The biggest difference will be the Chart view size. My vote is to give those who already purchased iNavX the additional features on iPad without having to spend more $$$.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

GPSNavX Wrote:My vote is to give those who already purchased iNavX the additional features on iPad without having to spend more $$$.

You've got my vote!
Life is a journey, not a guided tour.

If you want to know how big or small the iPad is, just check this page for links to paper-cut mockups of the iPad.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/06/ipad...aper-ipad/