• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Processor Speeds
Am realizing I may need a new laptop before departing offshore, and am looking at both Macbooks and MacbookPros, 13", with 4gb ram, the ram being one of the big drivers over my current Macbook with a max of 2gb.

Am confused a bit about the benefit of processor speed, though. The 'about this mac' on my current laptop gives the processor as 2.4 ghz core 2 duo, while the newest Macbook is only 2.26GHz, Core 2 Duo, and the Pro is either the same or 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo. That doesn't seem much difference in process speed between what I have and my two options (don't want larger than 13"). Would I really see much difference because of the processors or will the added ram have the greatest impact? I'm also surprised that the latest Macbooks have a slower processer than their predecessors.

Scot

Rumors that the new i7 processor (same as what is available in new iMac) will be available on Macbook Pro very soon. Macbook Pro has not been updated in quite some time. RAM is just as important as processor speed.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Well, we're departing in less than 45 days, so unless it's released quickly the i7 won't be an option, so I have to choose from what's available now. I'm finding the 2gb ram limit on my current Macbook a problem, primarily with Fusion or Parallels, which I need for a few essential win-only apps.

Why not try VirtualBox, from Sun Microsystems : it's free and very useful. Win7 as guest system, I use it with my MB 2.1GHz/RAM 2MB and have no problem to use USB port, CD/DVD drive aso. The built-in graphic chipset is a little bit slow, but have no use of important win graphic app.

Haven't heard of that. Is is something similar to Parallels? Win7 runs fine (all ports etc) on my Macbook, but is incredibly slow. The on latest versions of both Fusion and Parallels my XP virtual machine now runs significantly slower.

http://www.virtualbox.org/
Yes, exactly same as VM Fusion or Parallels, but free, and very stable.

heard rumours the i7 is imminent!

Well, am trying virtualbox and first impressions are quite positive. Both XP and Win7 are running at far closer to 'normal' speeds. VB isn't as feature laden as Fusion or Parallels, but it works where the other two aren't! Plus the price is right Smile

Thanks,
Scot

Just a tip there : to be able to use the built-in Core Audio AC97, you have to install this Realtek 6305 driver for Vista/W7, then relaunch W7 within VB.

how many usb ports does virtual box support?

No limit!