• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Furuno gp-32 waypoint exchange
Just bought a new Furuno gp32/Waas to replace my 12 year old gps. Connection to GPSNavX ok, position is shown on maps. But I can't transfer (up or down) my waypoints (about 800) and routes from GPSNavx to the Furuno. It only works when the Furuno is set te receive Yeoman waypoints. But then not all waypoints and/or information and no routes are exchanged.
Anyone knows a solution to this?

GPSNavX is compatible for waypoint, route and track transfer to/fro Garmin, Magellan and those GPS that support $GPWPL and $GPRTE NMEA sentences.

Another way to transfer a route or waypoint TO GPSNavX is to activate it on your GPS.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

saltysailor Wrote:Just bought a new Furuno gp32/Waas to replace my 12 year old gps. Connection to GPSNavX ok, position is shown on maps.
...snip...
I'd be interested to know how you made the physical connection from the Furuno (which we have also) to the Mac. Email me off list if you prefer.

Unfortunately, GPSNavX does not support the format required by Furuno GP32 and does not terminate with a "$PFEC,GPxfr, CTRL, E <cr>" message which causes the Furuno to hang until you cancel the transmission. Cry

For backup purposes, I get around this by exporting the waypoints from GPSNavX to a text file and using Excel to reformat to the Furuno specifications and then transfer the modified text file to the Furuno using another application (a painfully slow workaround I'm afraid).[/list][/u]

It's unfortunate that Furuno and others can't adhere to the NMEA specification for waypoint and route transfer. Instead they reinvent the wheel with proprietary NMEA messages. This makes allot of extra work for developers to support all the GPS out there!!

I have chosen to support Garmin, Magellan and NMEA transfer as these are the most common and it would be impossible for me to have access to every manufacturer out there.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mac Enc, Furuno GP-32 GPS and Ship Modul Multiplexer Alastair 9 7,350 July 1, 2011 11:59
Last Post: Jade
  Furuno GPS GP31 USB captmorgan23 3 6,000 October 2, 2009 20:13
Last Post: GPSNavX
  Furuno GP-30 Doesn't Allow All Functions Terry Etapa 1 2,586 August 4, 2008 20:52
  MacENC meets Furuno NavNet BB cyberhusky 1 1,807 March 9, 2007 14:24